Configuration window appears out of the blue

Describe the bug
Periodically and out of the blue (a few times a day) the Configuration window suddenly pops up on the screen, and must be closed. Often as you're clicking or typing this means changing by mistake some BTT configuration. Has been like this since Catalina at least, and persists on Big Sur.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
None I guess. Checked for configs over and over to see if this was configured by mistake. But happens either in regular (touchbar) or clamsheel (no touchbar) modes.

Screenshots
Not needed.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MBP 2018 15 in
  • macOS version: 11.1 (but since at least 10.15)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.505

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
Happy to provide some sort of log if instructed how.

Most likely somewhere in your BTT setup an trigger with predefined action "Show BTT Preferences" is configured.
If you want you can send an export of your preset (andreas@folivora.ai), then I can have a look!

Hi Andreas,

ich habe auch das Problem. Ich habe dir gerade per Mail meine exportierten Presets geschickt.

I have the same issue on two different Macs (one MBP, one iMac w/trackpad). It started after I upgraded to Big Sur. The configuration window appears in the foreground several times a day and has to be dismissed.

Weird, are you all using the GoldenChaos preset?

I am not using GoldenChaos. I only have about fifteen triggers set up, so I may try to delete & reinstall BTT and see if that fixes the problem. (Which is still ongoing. The configuration window appeared while I was replying to this thread.)

Having this issue and not using GoldenChaos. Started after I upgraded to Big Sur.

I too am seeing this only on one user account, but not the other user account. On the same user account I am also unable to use the multi finger swipe on tb to adjust volume or brightness. Both issues are only on one user account, which is using a preset I created and exported so all settings are the same. This behavior started on Big Sur.

Thanks for the feedback, Andreas.

I have sent you the export. I have tried but failed to find such trigger in my configs.

I am not using GoldenChaos preset (didn't even know this existed, heh).

Worth mentioning that I have noticed it to happen also sometimes even without any recent mouse/keyboard/touchbar input (like when just reading something on the screen).

Seeing the same issue. Previously for a short while I've had Golden Chaos preset which I then uninstalled, as well as doing a clean reinstall of BetterTouchTool (using it via Setapp sub).

Config window keeps popping up without any discernible triggers.

Device information
Type of Mac: MBP 2020 13in (Intel 8th gen chip)
macOS version: 11.0.1
BetterTouchTool version: 3.509

Has anyone found a fix for this? The config window still appears in the foreground 2-3 times a day for me.

unfortunately I haven’t found any clue in your presets / debug infos.

I wonder whether some other app or macOS process is trying to start BTT (as the preferences window also appears when trying to start BTT while it’s already running)
Unfortunately I have no idea what that could be but it definitely only seems to affect very few systems :-/

what would one look for in system logs to see whether there's a trigger to launch BTT happening in the background somewhere?

Just pitching in to mention I'm also facing this issue. Also running Big Sur and Golden Chaos, although it seems from the other comments it is more likely to do with Big Sur...

I have just uploaded v3.519 alpha (get via check for alpha version updates) which logs more details about when / why the preferences window is triggered.

Would be great if somebody could install that alpha and as soon as the issue occurs go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Information and send the result to andreas@folivora.ai. That should help me find what's going on.

Cheers, hope this can help find the issue. Is the alpha update available via Setapp install? (UPD: ah scratch that just found the answer to this in another thread - will post feedback to Setapp about pre-release version installs)

Couldn't find "check for alpha updates" so figured I'd check.

@Brad_Kins Would be great if you'd use the alpha (3.520 ) if you can reproduce this behavior

I have received two logs ( thank you!) and they show that something on the system tries to launch BTT while it is already running.
I have no idea what that could be (and unfortunately I don't know of any way to find the calling process). But for now I have added a hidden setting that disables showing the preferences window when that happens.

You need to install v3.532 alpha (get via check for alpha version updates)
Then execute the following terminal command while BTT is quit:

defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool BTTDontShowPrefsOnReopen YES
8 Likes

This did the job for me. No random popping BTT window since 5 days. Thanks Andreas!

Hello there

I just wanted to let you know that this problem persists till now, I'm on version 3.560.
Today I tried command posted above but looks like the problem is lying somewhere.

Greg