Visual inconsistency when using "Differentiate left/right modifier keys"

Describe the bug

I recently started experimenting with "Differentiate left/right modifier keys" to give myself more options, but noticed a couple of inconsistencies around the icons shown in the "Trigger Name" column when doing so:

All of these shortcuts seem to work as intended according to the notes, but:

• There is no differentiating icon for left & right control keys
    -- Preferably the control key icon style should match the others with the orange background and the arrow indicating which side.
  • Using left & right of the same modifier only shows the right modifier
    -- I found the following idealised proposal in a screenshot from a related topic by @Onur, but this was never taken any further:
  • The right opt icon is substantially larger than all the others

While the last point is just a minor irritation, the first 2 make it very confusing when scanning through the list of shortcuts. Is there any hope to look at this please?

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

• MacBook Air built-in keyboard*
  • Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard*
  • wired Apple A1243 keyboard

*(These devices have no physical right ctrl key, but I have been successful in using the trick described here by @Frank1)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Air M1
  • macOS version: Monterey 12.4
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.786

Many thanks Andreas!

@frypf I am glad that right control trick works for you. :slight_smile:

If you want to experiment with other options, you might also want to try these.

1. With BTT, "fn" can be used as a normal modifier. This is sometimes forgotten because "fn" is not actually a modifier.

2. The new short/long press feature works quite well with shortcuts (modifier + letter) or f-key. The use of single letters is not recommended at the moment. Andreas is planning a system change that will improve this.

3. And have a look here