GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

@GoldenChaos
Some of my users are having issues with my notification/dock badges, beware!

Hi everyone! Sorry for the short absence; I was traveling to LA for E3 2019! Then I collapsed for another week from exhaustion, haha. Will be doing some catchup and development work over the next week.

I've been thinking, and I may also declare a new stable version sooner than I wanted to, since the current "stable" version really doesn't earn that title anymore.

@ric.cioffi VERY useful! I will take a look at this and see if it solves my issue :slight_smile:

@yuuiko this hasn't been happening the last two weeks for me. However, I didn't literally copy-paste your badges, so maybe take a look at mine and see what's different? Here's my badge code:

tell application "BetterTouchTool" to set dndEnabled to get_number_variable "SystemDoNotDisturbState"

if dndEnabled is 0 then
	tell application "BetterTouchTool"
		set badgeNumber to get_dock_badge_for "Calendar" update_interval 5
		set handoffDevice to get_dock_badge_for "Calendar-handoff" update_interval 5
	end tell
	if badgeNumber is not missing value and handoffDevice is missing value then
		if application "Calendar" is running then
			return badgeNumber
        else 
            return ""
		end if
	else if handoffDevice is not missing value then
		if handoffDevice contains "iPhone" then
			return "iPhone"
		else if handoffDevice contains "iPad" then
			return "iPad"
		else if handoffDevice contains "watch" then
			return "Watch"
		else if handoffDevice contains "Mac" then
			return "Mac"
		end if
	else
		return ""
	end if
else
	return ""
end if

And for the click event:

if application "Calendar" is running then
	tell application "System Events"
		tell process "Dock"
			try
				click UI element "Calendar" of list 1
			end try
		end tell
	end tell
else
	tell application "Calendar" to activate
end if

@yuuiko
Here are mine (don't remember how yours were exactly, but these work without any trouble here on my machine).

tell application "BetterTouchTool" to set LCL_DNDStatus to get_string_variable "DNDStatus"
if LCL_DNDStatus is "OFF" then
	tell application "BetterTouchTool"
		set badgeNumber to get_dock_badge_for "APP_HERE" update_interval 3
		set handoffDevice to get_dock_badge_for "APP_HERE-handoff" update_interval 3
	end tell
	if badgeNumber is not missing value and handoffDevice is missing value then
		if application "APP_HERE" is running then
			return "Notification"
		else
			return "Notification"
		end if
	else if handoffDevice is not missing value then
		if handoffDevice contains "iPhone" then
			return "{\"text\":\"iPhone\", \"icon_data\": \"iPHONE_ICON_HERE\"}"
		else if handoffDevice contains "iPad" then
			return "{\"text\":\"iPad\", \"icon_data\": \"iPAD_ICON_HERE\"}"
		else if handoffDevice contains "watch" then
			return "{\"text\":\"watch\", \"icon_data\": \"watch_ICON_HERE\"}"
		end if
	else
		return "No badge"
	end if
else
	return "LCL_DNDStatus is ON"
end if

And the executive action

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Dock"
		try
			click UI element "APP_HERE" of list 1
		end try
	end tell
end tell
delay 1
tell application "System Events" to tell process "APP_HERE"
	set value of attribute "AXFullScreen" of window 1 to true
end tell

Hope this helps!

Edit: just remembered that you two get the actual count of notifications, where I'm glad for now to just display an icon. I'm just gonna leave this here though in case it helps nevertheless :man_shrugging:t2:

@yuuiko the problem was caused because they disabled BTT scripting as far as I know. Your notification badges seem to be fine.

1 Like

Just upgraded to the latest experimental and have noticed that the GUI Settings panel no longer works. Any idea what might be going on? I am only able to manually enable/disable functions by going through the BTT configurations as opposed to the GC preferences screen.

Additionally, the expand/collapse menu bar buttons no longer have any functionality.

One problem with my current approach is that, to check the status of both NS and TT, my scripts open (and then quit) system preferences in the background. This means that pressing the modifier key while system preferences are already open will quit them. I think this should be easily fixed by adding an initial conditional check to see if preferences are open and then, if they are not, running the script but I haven't had time to add it yet. Overall it's still a suboptimal solution, but at least a temporary fix.

I may have to accept that, at the moment, there doesn’t seem to be a way around this. Perhaps eventually @Andreas_Hegenberg could add a way to detect it? I know this has come up before but I forget if it was stated that there isn’t a good way to do it natively.

This just means you didn’t fully delete your previous GC version :slight_smile: delete all GC instances you have, then install the one you want. The settings menu will now work :+1:

Thanks! This did indeed fix the issue - although now I'm having a bit of another issue with the latest experimental. I find that some of my "menu bar" settings will sometimes revert to default after a period of time, a sleep/wake cycle, or BTT restart. For example, I'll have selected "never" for Spotlight and Notification Center; however, they will re-appear even though the setting remains selected as "never" within the settings GUI. This also happens with the following:

• Brightness Up (turned off, will reappear)
  • Brightness Down (turned off, will reappear)
  • Volume Up (turned off, will reappear)
  • Volume Down (turned off, will reappear)
  • Volume Mute (turned on, will disappear)
  • Connect to AirPods (turned on, will disappear)
  • 1Password (turned on, will disappear)

The only way that I've found to fix this issue is to go into the GUI and toggle all of these settings again. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Alright, I should probably also mention that I had to fiddle around with the periodicity of the scripts. I believe it's because of the whole open syspref, close syspref, but when I had them set up to refresh every two seconds things were not working properly. Right now I have the TT check every 5 seconds and the NS check every 7 seconds (the rationale being that I always have TT enabled and almost never NS)

Weather widget seems broken for me, in both the "set location automatically" (location services for BTT enabled in Privacy) and manually entering the coordinates. I'm in Vancouver but it shows 10°C when the low of late has been 16°C! Any ideas as to what's going on / how to fix?

Hey guys! I just wanted to apologize for the long gap between versions - I was redirected temporarily to working on an update for zeldauniverse.net (my Legend of Zelda fan community), and that took up some of my time. I'm now back to it once again!

I will definitely be updating the main thread in the near future, because the current "stable" version is now out of date and I don't recommend that people install it. It's super likely that whatever version I release next will be christened "stable". I've been putting way too much weight on the label of "stable", when in fact the experimental channel has been more stable than the stable channel for some time now.

@wiffle This is more @Andreas_Hegenberg's expertise, but before he chimes in, what version of BTT are you using? Have newer versions since fixed the issue?

EDIT2: My weather icons are now upside down for some reason? :smiley:

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the weather widget being unable to grab data? It's been working perfectly for months but yesterday started failing to fetch data. All I see is 0 degrees or a message that says something to the effect of "unable to get location."

I do have Location Helper installed and added to the privacy tab under security, ditto for Better Touch Tool itself. I haven't changed anything in my formerly working setup. I have however traveled to a new location for work, but I would be surprised if that actually is the problem.

Even manually entering lat/long codes doesn't fix it.

1 Like

It's been spotty for me, but a BTT restart usually fixes it. I have a feeling @Andreas_Hegenberg is on top of it :slight_smile:

I am using the latest experimental version (3.065-4) but for me the Dock Badges are not showing up. Also not on the stable version. I can't understand why.

Did you recently upgrade? If you didn't fully remove your previous GC version, this would cause the issue you've described because you would be flipping settings switches and it wouldn't actually be toggling the badges on successfully.

If so, make sure you've deleted your previous version before installing a new one. You can restore your old config in the settings window after upgrading.

If you did upgrade properly, then I have to think harder about what it could be...

I have noticed that the weather widget icons for 'partly cloudy day' and 'partly cloudy night' are reversed in the latest version (3.065-4) ...Does anyone know of an easy way to swap them back to the correct icon?

Hey guys, I'm a btt newbie, so sorry if I hit the wrong thread. I didn't find a better thread for my question.

First of all, thanks for your awesome work on this preset! When I first installed the preset and cleaned the touchbar with my fingers I suddenly realized I can alter volume and brightness - magic!

So here are my issues:

1. I want to customize the preset so it only contains the things I need, but as you know it resets all my changes so I'm not able to do that. I didn't find anything to bypass that. Copypasting all of the elements wouldn't be an elegant solution. Could you give me any hint on how I can change the element settings without them reverting?

2. The weather service grabs my location constantly, not just once. Like every 15-20mins. Maybe its awesome for some people, but when I use steam streaming I get regular stutters which makes streaming kinda difficult. Since I can't edit the elements without reverting I can't solve the issue.

This seems to be a BTT bug, because they were correct when I uploaded the preset. @Andreas_Hegenberg looks like some weather icons got swapped - could a BTT update have caused this?

@crabman

1. There is no reason to remove things, simply switch off what you don't want in the GC-BTT settings window. Anything you switch off there won't use up any performance. Use cmd+opt+shift+p to access the built-in GC-BTT settings menu. Those settings can even be restored after a GC-BTT upgrade!

2. The weather widget is part of BTT, so that's another question for @Andreas_Hegenberg :slight_smile:

I'll look into the swapped icons - can't remember any change there but who knows :smiley:

@crabman, sorry the update interval can't be changed. However it's just a few kilobytes, that really shouldn't have any influence on streaming.

//edit: the icons have indeed been swapped somhow. It might be necessary to save them again with the next updated BTT, because I think they were exported incorrectly. I just uploaded a new alpha version 3.110.