Welcome to the GoldenChaos-BTT support and feedback thread! You're looking nice today.
How to use this thread and the GC-BTT subform:
- If you have a small or non-specific issue, or just want to say thanks, post in here!
- This thread is not for bugs! Make a thread to report a bug.
- You can request features here, but I'll periodically split out larger discussions into their own feature request threads. If you think your feature request is a whole discussion, please make a thread for it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated Aug 5, 2019
After installing a new version, the GC-BTT settings window doesn’t seem to do anything, and the menu bar won’t expand or collapse. Why?
This happens when you have more than one GC version installed. To fix, delete (not disable) all GC versions you have installed, then install the version you want.
The settings menu uses unique IDs to find the correct buttons to change. If you install a GC version while another is already installed, the first one you installed will still be taking up the IDs that the settings menu is looking for. Which is why the menu appears not to work, and why you can only have one GC version installed at a time.
After upgrading, why didn't "Reapply All Settings" restore of all my customizations?
The most common reason why using the "Reapply All Settings" button wouldn't work is because you manually edited the widgets inside of BetterTouchTool. "Reapply All Settings" only works for customizations set through the GC-BTT settings menu, and can't tell when you've manually edited widgets inside of BTT. For this reason, unless you're technically minded, you should only customize GC-BTT through the GC-BTT settings menu.
If you do want to modify any of the widgets manually, or augment GC-BTT with your own widgets, I greatly recommend copying them into your own separate preset. That way, when you upgrade GC-BTT, your custom widgets won't get deleted!
My weather widget shows 0° and a moon. How do I fix this?
Take these steps to fix the issue:
- Restart BetterTouchTool.
- If restarting BetterTouchTool does not fix the issue, make sure that BetterTouchTool has location access in
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Location.
If neither troubleshooting step fixes the issue, then that means that BetterTouchTool has hit its Dark Sky API limit for the day and can't check the weather. The weather widget will be able to check the weather again automatically once the next day begins.
Why isn't the AirPods/Beats/Gamepad Quick Connect key working for me?
- You must have the Bluetooth Menu enabled for these keys to work, as they rely on clicking things in that menu for you. If you don’t have the Bluetooth Menu enabled, you can enable it in
System Preferences > Bluetooth.
- Your AirPods must have the word
AirPodsin their name.
- Your Beats must have the word
Beatsin their name.
The ability to define custom names for AirPods and Beats is coming soon! Keep an eye on upcoming experimental releases.
What controllers does the Gamepad Quick Connect key support?
The Gamepad Quick Connect key is pre-configured to look for the following types of controllers in order:
- Steelseries Nimbus
- Bluetooth devices with the word “Gamepad” in their name
- Bluetooth devices with the word “Controller” in their name
- Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons
- Nintendo wireless controllers (generic)