How to use Caps Lock as Hyper Key in Key Sequences?

Hey, I currently have Caps Lock mapped to Hyper Key but I can't seem to trigger key sequences with it.

For context, I want hyper key based key sequences to work across all my keyboards. I use a second keyboard when I am at my desk and my macbook keyboard on the go. However when I try to define a hyper key + R, S, S key sequence, it only works on my second keyboard; trying to do the same on the internal keyboard as Caps Lock + R, S, S does not work.

My configuration below:

Are you sure what you want is a key sequence? In your example it looks like a keyboard shortcut would be the right choice

That is just one example. I have more namespaced shortcuts key sequences inside the Raycast group like so:

The ones starting with Option work across both keyboards but the hyper one does not work on the macbook keyboard.

the problem is, that the order of how the modifiers are pressed is not really defined for the hyper key - however it is crucial for key sequences - for keyboard shortcut that doesn't matter.

You could however switch to @Frank1 approach and just remap capslock to right-cmd or right-ctrl in System Settings:

These should always work fine in key sequences

1 Like

Meanwhile, BTT has been given a new feature that is ideal for all kinds of key sequences :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That was my hunch as well and BTT seems to always recognize the hyper key in this order even though my keyboard sends them in a different order.

But yeah, mapping it to right ctrl seems like a good idea.

I had another question, is there an easier way to define multiple named triggers that open a URL like I am doing with raycast deeplinks? Having to do multiple clicks for single shortcuts is getting annoying.

If you want to define named triggers that open URL's directly via JSON you can do that as well and paste into BTT. This would be the basic format:

[
  {
    "BTTTriggerType" : 643,
    "BTTTriggerClass" : "BTTTriggerTypeOtherTriggers",
    "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 366,
    "BTTTriggerName" : "TriggerName-Google",
    "BTTEnabled" : 1,
    "BTTEnabled2" : 1,
    "BTTAdditionalActions" : [
      {
        "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 59,
        "BTTOpenURL" : "https:\/\/google.com",
        "BTTOpenURLBrowser" : "Default"
      }
    ]
  },
  {
    "BTTTriggerType" : 643,
    "BTTTriggerClass" : "BTTTriggerTypeOtherTriggers",
    "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 366,
    "BTTTriggerName" : "TriggerName-CNN",
    "BTTEnabled" : 1,
    "BTTEnabled2" : 1,
    "BTTAdditionalActions" : [
      {
        "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 59,
        "BTTOpenURL" : "https:\/\/cnn.com",
        "BTTOpenURLBrowser" : "Default"
      }
    ]
  }
]

This is sweet! Thank you. Can I find references for other actions like these as well somewhere?

You can copy any configured action to clipboard and paste into a texteditor. There might be some properties included that are not required, but also won't hurt.

1 Like