GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

Could you make it? Since I can't reproduce it here, you'd be better at describing the issue than I would.

Also - give upgrading to the new 3.172 GC build a shot :slight_smile: I think I fixed all the settings and upgrade issues!

@Mac_Guy 3.172 is out which fixes the calendar widgets :smiley:

Ok no problem. Most likely will do so tomorrow. Thank you so much

1 Like

Thanks upgraded but it still presses space when I light touch the date.
The calendar (when I long press) works fine.

Ah yeah, I wasn't able to fix that bug yet. It's a bit complicated to work around, might take a few versions haha.

@GoldenChaos . Hey, Thanks for the updated version. Unfortunatley I had a few issues with BTT. It kept freezing and each time I tried to Force Quit the process it would instantly relaunch. My whole machine was sooo slow. Eventually I resorted to using Clean My Mac to uninstall it. I redownloaded and set everything up but could not restore my config as there was no config to restore from but I will double check that on the next version. I did notice that the following two options still did not work:

Options with no selected option shown in settings: (Eg: The options seem to work but the selected state is not visible)

• Show Finder
  • AirDrop

Also, the media keys in my scenario are messing up. Eg:

I open iTunes and start a track playing. If I move to Chrome and start browsing around and then want to pause the currently playing track, I tap pause and it doesn't do anything!

Thanks for your hard work.

1 Like

I've confirmed the airdrop and finder settings switch issues. I've also found an issue with the Now Playing and Media Controls settings switches not working, so I'm fixing those.

As for the Now Playing issue you're having, are you browsing a site that's causing Chrome to take over the system Now Playing functionality? Browsing to YouTube, for example, would do this - because Chrome would capture your play/pause button instead of iTunes.

You can disable that chrome behavior via chrome://flags as far as I know (look for Hardware Media Key Handling and possibly Media Session Service if you also want to exclude chrome from the now playing widget)

@rctneil Fixed the finder/airdrop switch issues! Once I have these now playing switch issues fixed I'll push out the new version.

Also, now that upgrading is working smoothly, I'm moving away from manual upgrading and streamlining the process further with auto-upgrades - basically it'll check for existing settings whenever you import a copy of GC-BTT. This means you won't need to open the settings window and restore anything anymore, it'll do it automatically! :smiley:

@Andreas_Hegenberg if there was a mechanism within BTT to detect the existence of an installed GC version and automatically remove it before importing a new version, the only thing remaining to make upgrades genuinely easy is to eliminate the need to manually delete an existing version beforehand. Is this possible? Could we give the user a prompt to replace the existing version?

@rctneil GC-BTT 3.172-3 (just released) fixes the upgrade issues you've been having, I'm pretty dang sure. Turned out to be a huge bug where supposedly saved settings would disappear after a BTT restart. If you set your settings using this new version, they will be set correctly and persist between upgrades, which you can test by using the new version to set the settings you want, removing the preset, and then reinstalling it. It should just restore your settings on import if it works correctly.

Might be a silly question, i like the whole bar but is there now still any option to get the touch bar icons of an app that supports it? For instance Adobe has other touch bar icons.

(not that i need them, just asking.. since i usually never used them)

Not silly at all! There is a built-in keyboard shortcut to switch back to the native Touch Bar at any time: Cmd + Opt + Shift + 0 :slight_smile:

Long-time user of the tool, but have never had it work where an upgrade shows the correct options (even if they're selected properly in settings) in the touchbar itself after upgrade. It just shows the default every single time. Remove the presets and reinstall after setting them and it's still just the default displayed. Sometimes a delete of all presets and starting fresh every time would fix it (albeit a hassle), but now with the newest build it just stays the default regardless.

EDIT: I finally 'fixed' it by disabling and re-enabling the things I want to see/use and vice versa for the stuff that shows that I didn't want to use.

Thats one i will easily forget :wink:

Building in support for every app is also a bridge too far, it should be more generic for tools like yours to have more benefit i suppose. But like i said, i didn't really use the bar (if they would remove the bar with a next update i wouldn't cry) but at least i found a proper purpose for it, thanks for that.

p.s. i do miss my physical escape key, hope apple brings that back, not referring to your software escape key (long time vi user, escape the whole day)

@ThatGeekyDad Are you using the actual latest GC version, 3.172-3? It fixes that exact bug and upgrades from this point forward SHOULD work now. A way to test that upgrading is working properly:

1. DELETE all existing GC versions
  2. Install GC 3.172-3
  3. Set the settings you want using the GC-BTT settings window
  4. Delete and reinstall GC 3.172-3
  5. Your custom settings should have been restored automatically. Let me know what, if anything, didn't restore properly!

@riemers I'd love a more memorable keyboard shortcut suggestion :smiley: that and settings both have terrible keyboard shortcuts that I would like to change...

Also, I will definitely be building my own Photoshop support in the future for the preset. It will work like the emoji picker or browser tabs widgets :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just tried those steps and by default it still shows the 'default' layout on the touchbar, BUT for the first time ever the "Check For Existing Settings" button did the job so I'm all set now. Thanks!

1 Like

Wooo! Let me know if you have any issues upgrading to future versions. I feel like 3.172-3 makes it reliable for the first time, haha.

yeah me too
I'm on Catalina
dark moon 0 degree for weather
any solution?

I've added a section to the FAQ since this has been a common question!

If restarting BTT doesn't fix the issue, then that means that BetterTouchTool has hit its Dark Sky API limit for the day and can't check the weather. The weather widget will be able to check the weather again automatically once the next day begins.

1 Like

It can also happen if BTT doesn't have the correct permissions to access the location (in system preferences => Security & Privacy => Privacy) and the "auto-location" option is selected.

1 Like

Updated my FAQ entry with that info :slight_smile:

1 Like