GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

And I have just updated the weather API proxy to fix an issue where sometimes multiple requests were created because macOS recognized minimal location changes. So I hope we won't hit that API limit again anytime soon (starting with tomorrow, today it may already be too late..).

2 Likes

I'm not sure if this is a bug or I'm just an idiot, but every setting on my touch bar is duplicated. Like, I have two date widgets, two weather widgets, two battery widgets, all next to each other. I wasn't sure if this is an issue of not deleting my old settings before I downloaded the new version, but I kept searching on the site and I couldn't find directions on how to actually delete the settings, it just kept telling me to delete them. I thought I deleted it by deleting the preset file in my download folder, but wasn't sure if there was something else to delete. Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

You have to delete the preset inside of the BetterTouchTool preferences window, here:

Since you installed it twice, you'll need to delete BOTH and then reinstall the latest version! If you don't do that, the settings switches on the new version won't work.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the help! Never would have found that without your help :joy:

1 Like

still zero degree

hey @GoldenChaos, for the next update, could you please update the visuals for the sleep and lock buttons? Currently, they are in a bad shape, as seen below:

also in addition, I think that @Andreas_Hegenberg could make the icons of the touchbar dock a little better, by making the icons appear in the center of the vertical axis, instead of being pretty "high" on the vertical axis of the touchbar. to me it seems like the apps that are not in use are affected. (Sorry if I am nitpicky)!

Will fix in the next version :slight_smile:

@GoldenChaos - also, I discovered that if you click on the language icon and change to a language that has not been added to GCBTT's code, the language icon will dissappear. I believe that you could fix this issue by replacing all the flags with a static globe icon, so that it doesn't have to change, or you could code the language icon to change to a static globe icon if the code doesn't recognize the flag that goes along with a language. If you didn't understand what I am talking about, then here is a quick video of my touchbar:

Good catch, I will make it show a globe if it doesn't find a flag :slight_smile:

Hey @GoldenChaos and others, does setting a specific list of calendars for the Calendar.app widget work for you? It causes BTT to enter a loop of launching and crashing, giving me the error:

Crashed Thread:        9  Dispatch queue: com.apple.eventkit.reminders.search

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-    [EKFrozenCalendar remObjectID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7ff1e3587bd0'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException`Preformatted text`

I'm responding to this comment because I tried it running this with and without icalBuddy. I'm running BTT 3.172 and GoldenChaos-BTT 3.172-3 on macOS Catalina Dev Beta 5 – obviously, there could be many sources of glitches because of running this beta!

Interestingly, icalBuddy also can't seem to run due to a "bad CPU type in executable" error (I filed an issue on its Github page). From the error message and what you said, these two don't seem to be related.

could you attach the full crashlog?

Yup! Here (99.0 KB) it is.

the crash is somehow related to reminders (are you using the reminders app on catalina?).

It seems to crash somewhere inside the Apple frameworks, out of BTT‘s control, however I have no idea what could be triggering it. I’ll play around with reminders and see whether I can figure anything out.

3.173 basically killed BTT for me. It keeps closing even after I've removed any GC presets. My preset now says "(null)" instead of the Default that is listed. All I did was import the newest and now this has begun happening. On the latest version of BTT.

Ah now I see, you tried to use GoldenChaos 3.173 with BTT 3.172 which causes problems. To fix it download BTT 3.173: https://bettertouchtool.net/releases/btt3.173.zip

That's the weird thing. It just crashes silently, there's no crash log. :flushed:

One method I used to get BTT to work again was to delete my license file from ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool. This forced BTT into Trial Mode, and since my Trial has long since expired, nothing ran in the background. That let me retrace my steps and "undo the damage." Maybe that'll work for you?

Right, that's what the log seems to imply. I hadn't launched Reminders.app since upgrading to Catalina, but was able to replicate the problem again even after doing so.

FWIW, Reminders had a huge update for iOS 13/Catalina. I did launch it on my iOS devices, which prompted me to "convert" my Reminders on my Mac through my iOS devices!

I've done that. Reinstalled it, etc. Still nothing. Going to try and restart to see if that'll magically fix things next.

Oh - one last thing that helped me end my crashing was to run the app from my ~/Downloads folder instead of moving it to ~/Applications. I think it has a similar net effect as deleting ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool, but I wouldn't have solved the lock-out without trying that.

Wishing you good luck!