GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

Hi, thanks for GoldenChaos-BTT! I have been using and loving BTT and GoldenChaos for about two years. Recently I have encountered a problem in which my Esc key does not work even though I can visibly see the key change color when I press it. If I quit BTT, the Esc key immediately begins to work as expected. If I restart BTT, it's fine for a while but eventually it returns to the problematic state.

1. Is there a way to temporarily disable GoldenChaos so that I can confirm it is not causing this problem?
  2. How do I completely uninstall GoldenChaos in case I want to clean reinstall it?

@GoldenChaos
Hello! I am using GC and BTT and am having a problem where all my calendar entries appear twice on the touchbar. In Apple Calendar, they appear only once but on the touchbar, I get a duplicate. Any idea why?

feature requests-

1. a way to stop the touch bar from going dark after a minute or so (if possible)
  2. The ability to change the sensitivity of the two-finger swipe volume (& 3 finger swipe brightness) from within GoldenChaos-BTT settings. I changed the % before repeat in BTT, but it would be nice to have it in settings
  3. change temperature units in GoldenChaos-BTT settings. I was also able to do this through BTT, but a more convenient way would be nice. For some reason, it wasn't grabbing global settings
  4. add a more convenient way to change keyboard backlight settings. Maybe let me double or triple the effect of a single tap from the control strip or have it adjust with 4 fingers? Not exactly an essential feature, but it might come in handy. It seems weird having such small adjustment increments, but I guess Apple wanted the same granularity as volume and brightness for consistency.
  5. When going through clipboard history, double-tap should immediately paste.
  6. an option to change the dynamic menu bar from 3 positions to 2
  7. flicking the dynamic menu bar button should let me expand/contract it, instead of it needing to cycle.

Thank you so much for creating this! You turned the touch bar from not much better than physical keys into an amazing feature. Apple should copy this.

1 Like

I figured this out on my own, so I'm putting the answer here in case anyone else needs it.

1. In the top right corner of Configuration, select Preset: Default.
  2. To disable GoldenChaos, deselect its Active checkbox.
  3. To remove GoldenChaos, select GoldenChaos then select Delete.

I'm having a bug on 15" 2016 MacBook Pro. I am able to launch and toggle things in the GC settings however I can't scroll through the actual settings page. It effectively only allows me to change the items that are visible at the top.

EDIT: I was able to bypass this by going into BTT > Named & Other Triggers > GC BTT Presets > GC's GC Settings > I manually editing the variables of that script to what I wanted them to be. Then I opened the preferences menu and clicked Restore > "GC's GC Settings" which successfully ran my modified script. Ooph.

This is a known bug and will be fixed in the next day or two with the new version! Iā€™m so sorry this issue has taken me a while to release a fix for - but please keep an eye on the release thread over the next few days :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can't enable the battery percentage. When I click the battery percentage toggle in the settings, it wobbles, but refuses to go to 'enable'.

I'm hoping that that is the way to also see the AirPods battery indicator?

The AirPods battery indicator can be found in the "Connectivity" strip - long press either the AirPods button or Volume Up :slight_smile:

Battery percentage, coincidentally, seems to be giving a few people some issues so I suspect something's up. Gonna also test to make sure everything about battery percentage settings is working on my end.

EDIT: I'm able to reproduce the battery percentage bug, should be a quick fix :smiley: I'm planning to have a new version out today with this and critical fixes for the new Preset functionality.

Hey super new here so please excuse if wrong thread. I have been usign GCC from 3-4months. However I have a privacy/security concern. Does GoldenChaos record key presses on internal/external keyboard? Does it log, button presses that can be maliciously obtained by any other rogue app?

Again excuse if this has been answered, I tried finding it but could not. I read BTT devs response that BTT in itself does not store any keystrokes, just warned about third party presets.

Thanks, again love the GC <3

Hey man, I am having the same problem with the volume up button turning blue when airpods are connected. @GoldenChaos, could you give us a quick fix for this?

This is intentional and not a bug. Thereā€™s a very important reason it turns blue! Itā€™s to indicate that the currently selected audio output is connected via bluetooth. This is useful if you don't use the AirPods quick connect button, or use different headphones sometimes, because you can still see that a bluetooth speaker is being used. And if you do use the AirPods button, both the AirPods and volume up turning blue means that the AirPods are both connected and set as the current output. Try switching your audio output to the built-in speakers with AirPods connected; the volume up button will turn white while the AirPods icon stays blue!

@matteluv GC itself does not log or store anything that BetterTouchTool doesnā€™t. At the very least nothing Iā€™ve put into GC is logging anything you do, and you can inspect all the code yourself to see that :slight_smile: perhaps @Andreas_Hegenberg could better answer this question for BTT as a whole.

1 Like

That's good to know @GoldenChaos !

Nevertheless, the feature is not working properly for me, I think.

As you can see, the internal speakers are selected with music running but the volume up button remains blue.

Could you help me figure this out?
Cheers!

Welp, thatā€™s an actual bug! Will get it fixed and let you know when the fix is out :+1:

Hi,

Thanks for the preset - it makes my touchbar usable :slight_smile:

I do have a recurring problem: every once in a while the (non physical) 'esc' key stops working. I've confirmed it does work when i switch back to the BTT 'Default' preset, but it does not work when GoldenChaos-BTT is active. Oddly enough, restarting BTT with GoldenChaos active, also doesn't fix the problem. It does seem that the esc key sometimes works, but with a rather big delay (>5sec). For example in iTerm when I press esc, the mode changes after a few secs. Odd.

Things I've tried:

• Restarting macbook keeping GoldenChaos active (fixes the problem)
  • Restarting BTT (does not fix the problem)
  • Switching to Default preset (does not fix)
  • Enabling system esc key in BTT, disabling GoldenChaos (does not work (!) )

My feeling is that it has to do with some kind of overlay, or something odd in the named trigger. I'd like to replace the named trigger by an 'esc' keypress, but I don't know if that messes things up. Any hint on how to do that when I can't actually press esc would also be appreciated :slight_smile:

Any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks for the very welcome update :slight_smile:

I have two issues:

1. Enabling badges certain apps (Telegram, in this case) doesn't take effect. No matter how many times I try it, or restart BTT, it still appears.
  2. Would it be possible to add the option to completely hide the ESC and fullscreen buttons? I never used them once, but currently the only way to hide them is by searching inside the BTT config itself.

How can I access the GC-BTT Settings menu if I disabled the menu bar icon?

You can use the built-in keyboard shortcut: Command + Option + Shift + P :slight_smile:

@unfunfionn

1. What version of BTT are you using? I'll check the Telegram badge as well, but there have been a few issues with settings switches recently.
  2. Yup, working on this for a future update!

@rvdm I'm not encountering this issue, and the esc key in GC is literally just a shortcut for the physical esc key and doesn't do anything fancy. What version of BTT are you on? @Andreas_Hegenberg any insight into why this might be happening?

1 Like

Hi GC, many thanks for putting in so much effort to create this! My touchbar is useful now thanks to you.

I was just wondering if the battery percentage bug has been fixed in 3.562? I am still facing the same problem.

I posted yesterday in the dev update thread about this, but Iā€™ll elaborate: there is some weird JavaScript error thatā€™s stopping the switch from working and I havenā€™t figured out how to fix it just yet. But I think itā€™s actually related to issues with the preset system, so Iā€™m kind of disassembling and reassembling ALL of the settings right now to make sure EVERYTHING saves properly. :joy:

Hereā€™s a workaround for the battery percentage bug in the meantime. All you need to do is manually enable the Battery Percentage display by editing the two battery widgets via the BetterTouchTool configuration window:

• The first battery widget is located in the "Menu Bar" group in the left sidebar.
  • The second battery widget is located in the "Menu Bar (Modal)" group.
  • Toggle the "Show only icon, no text" setting under "Common" for each widget to enable or disable the battery percentage display.
  • You might need to do this again if you change presets or resize the menu bar.

Brilliant, thank you!

1 Like