BetterSnapTool leaves gap at bottom of window

Describe the bug

Some snap actions that place the window near the bottom of the monitor result in a gap after upgrading to MacOS Sonoma. Only the bottom of the display is affected, not other sides of the window.

Affected actions:

• Bottom half
  • Bottom left quarter
  • Bottom right corner

The window is the correct size, it is just positioned too high. Other actions are not affected.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (M1 Max, 64GB)
  • macOS version: MacOS Sonoma 14.0 (23A344)
  • BetterSnapTool version: 1.9.9

My dock is on the left, and hidden. I do not use stage manager.

does this affect all apps on your system or only some?

All apps that use normal MacOS windows.

Do you maybe have this option enabled? I think it also is active if the Dock is hidden:

No, I do not have that option enabled.

I just tested with the option enabled at different pixel values and it does not seem to affect the behavior.

Weird. Do you have your menubar on auto-hide? There currently is a bug in Sonoma which reports incorrect menubar heights to BetterSnapTool - I have already prepared a new version to workaround this. However your case is a bit different than previously reported ones.
It looks like the gap might be the size of the menubar, is that the case?

Maybe I can share the beta of BetterSnapTool with you in 1-2 days to check whether that also fixes this issue.

No, I don't hide the menubar.

All apps. It is the case that it leaves a small gap at the bottom of the window and always pushes hard against the top menu bar. If you quit BST and restart the app it seems to fix it for a while, but it will start doing it again shortly.

that sounds like the menubar height bug in sonoma, I’ll post the new version to try in this thread tomorrow.

Thanks heaps! Much appreciated. I probably should have mentioned that this did start happening as soon as I updated to Sonoma.

Could you try this beta build of BetterSnapTool?
BetterSnapTool_1_9_10_beta.zip (4.1 MB)

HI, thanks for this. I'll start using it today.

It's interesting, and it's something I can seemingly resolve on my own but I've just noticed that what seems to have happened is the update to Sonoma seems to have just pushed all my snap areas I created up a few pixels. If i use the default areas it obeys my parameters as it should. Seems I just need to readjust my snap areas I've created and it should work fine.

ah maybe wait before doing that. I'll have another look. I have updated the menubar height code for the standard areas but not yet for custom snap areas - will need to check whether that's the same issue

I'm seeing this as well with BetterTouchTool since the Sonoma upgrade. If I restart BTT it will snap correctly to a lower quadrant. But if I unplug and re-plug in my monitor, it will start adding the gap at the bottom.

could you also try the beta build? (BetterSnapTool leaves gap at bottom of window - #11 by Andreas_Hegenberg )

The beta seems to fix the issue for me.

Interestingly, I've been having what sounds like the opposite problem — I WANT a gap at the bottom of the screen, and I've always had one until Sonoma when I snap with BetterSnapTool. Since the Sonoma update, my gap has disappeared — but ONLY when using the "bottom left quarter" or "bottom right quarter" setting in BetterSnapTool. If I maximize or snap to left or right or seemingly any other position, everything's fine. It's just the bottom quarters.

I tried the 1.9.10 beta you provided above, and the issue persists for me.

One last tidbit is this only seems to be a problem on displays that are NOT the "main" display (i.e. displays where the Dock is not present). When I try to replicate the problem on my display with the Dock visible, the windows are spaced as I expected and as they were prior to Sonoma.

Also, for what it's worth, here are my settings with regard to spacing of windows (I like to leave a 10px space on all sides), if that helps:

Obviously, this is not a huge issue, but I thought it might be helpful to let you know, in case this was an issue you hadn't seen before.

Thanks for all of your hard work and for all your awesome software!