After sleep, global touchbar widgets are not visible

seems to be asleep more than 10 mins for it to fail to show for me.

I was experiencing this issue as well, but I've probably found the hotfix through BTT auto-restart macro (in the "Other" tab) after the wake.

Check the screenshot below:

3 Likes

Thanks to your solution 007hacky007 I was able to find a workaround.

In my case, I created a new named trigger force_touchbar_visibility which will run action toggle btt touch bar twice - which will basically reenable it. Then I've attached it to after mac wakes from sleep and after booting on mac with serial number actions.

Really weird, that should basically be what BTT does anyways.

I still haven't been able to reproduce the issue on my machines unfortunately. Do you know whether BTT restarts correctly after sleep on your machines?

I have added some more logs to the latest release, it would be great if somebody who encounters the problem could send me the debug info (About Tab => Export Debug Info), maybe the logs show why the touch bar won't show up.

I'll send you debug info on the mail

Periodically happens to me as well.

This is happening to me as well after upgrading to Mojave.

Happens on Mojave and unfortunately it sometimes happens also after the hotfix I posted before.
Actually this is so annoying, I wonder whether to upgrade BTT from trial to regular version once the trial ends. :frowning:

Yeah, same :frowning:

BTT is otherwise perfect but it does get quite annoying having to constantly restart the app. Here are some more details to hopefully diagnose the issue:

OS Mojave 10.14

Hardware MacBook Pro 15in 2018

BTT Version BTT 2.538 (this happened on stable builds as well)

The issue: BTT would not initialize after long periods of sleep, even with the hotkey. I haven't timed it but I would say after the macbook's been asleep for more than 45 minutes, the default Apple Touch Bar takes over and the only fix is to manually restart BTT. The Hotkeys to reinitialize BTT after wake does not work either.

Have you tried this solution?

In my case, I created a new named trigger force_touchbar_visibility which will run action toggle btt touch bar twice - which will basically reenable it. Then I've attached it to after mac wakes from sleep and after booting on mac with serial number actions.

For me, this issue no longer exists when applying those.

JSON for named trigger:

{
  "BTTTriggerType" : 643,
  "BTTTriggerTypeDescription" : "Named Trigger: force_touchbar_visibility",
  "BTTTriggerClass" : "BTTTriggerTypeOtherTriggers",
  "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 188,
  "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Toggle BetterTouchTool Touch Bar",
  "BTTTriggerName" : "force_touchbar_visibility",
  "BTTEnabled2" : 1,
  "BTTUUID" : "424D4869-54D6-4F73-8057-D57241A20D8E",
  "BTTEnabled" : 1,
  "BTTOrder" : 10,
  "BTTAdditionalActions" : [
    {
      "BTTTriggerType" : -1,
      "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 188,
      "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Toggle BetterTouchTool Touch Bar",
      "BTTUUID" : "25D68F11-9C11-4BD1-840E-E6307607210D",
      "BTTOrder" : 0
    }
  ]
}

JSON for "launching on mac" action in others tab:

{
  "BTTTriggerType" : 641,
  "BTTTriggerTypeDescription" : "Launch on Mac with Serial Number: C02WV0PGHV2Q",
  "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 248,
  "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Trigger Named Trigger (Configured in Other Tab)",
  "BTTNamedTriggerToTrigger" : "force_touchbar_visibility",
  "BTTMachineSerialNumber" : "HIDDENFOROBVIOUSREASONS",
  "BTTUUID" : "CF2E5CC9-E237-4305-B68F-1AB8562DDD9F",
  "BTTOrder" : 11
}

:point_up: in this one you'd have to change the serial number to the one you have under Apple > This mac > General > Serial number

JSON for "after mac wakes up from sleep"

{
  "BTTTriggerType" : 606,
  "BTTTriggerTypeDescription" : "After Mac Wakes From Sleep",
  "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 248,
  "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Trigger Named Trigger (Configured in Other Tab)",
  "BTTNamedTriggerToTrigger" : "force_touchbar_visibility",
  "BTTUUID" : "E3CCA5AF-D198-45CB-BB09-839301E9BC76",
  "BTTOrder" : 8
}

Let me know if it works for you. Andreas mentioned that he couldn't reproduce the issue, so in the meantime this might be a good workaround :slight_smile:

Hey all. Not sure If I can be any help. Happy to send logs, but not sure if it will show anything.
My issue is very similar, but slightly different. My main BTT Touch Bar does not show up at all. I get the standard OSX buttons. Doesn't matter if I restart BTT or the Mac. Even deleted my preset and uninstalled and reinstalled. No dice. However, my secondary functions do show up, so if I hit CMD or Option. Those menus show up on the touch bar. But then when I release them, It goes back to the standard (OSX) buttons for whatever app I'm in.
Cheers.

I've tried that, it doesn't work for me.
BTT almost never shows up after my Mac's been asleep for ages. I've set a keyboard shortcut to toggle the touch bar twice and am now in the habit of just pressing it when I wake my mac. Don't know why it won't happen automatically using the 2 named triggers you mentioned.

@Worie I saw that thread too and unfortunately those scripts doesn't seem to help. It'll trigger after short periods of sleep, but anything more than an hour or so and BTT just seems to be disabled. The default Touch Bar comes up, and the BTT preferences doesn't seem to indicate that the Touch Bar is hidden either.

I wonder if it has something to do with my MacBook preferences. I double checked BTT Accessibility preferences, even deleted it and re-added it after upgrading. I also checked currently have PowerNap disabled, maybe that's causing something?

Sure, I just suggested it, cause it's working for me. I've my PowerNap disabled too, but enabled hard drive sleep and screen dimming. In keyboard preferences, I've set that TouchBar strip contains: application tools (i don't really know the translation in english, my system settings are not in english). I'm not sure if there are any other settings that may affect this...

One more thing that you could try @dongju would be to change the trigger action that I provided to "restart BTT" action, only once.

1 Like

It would be great if you could try v2.639 alpha .
If it still doesn't work with that version, try to check this option in the General Touch Bar settings:

Just updated to v2.639 alpha and checked proposed checkbox. Also removed my "Other" actions trigger by Mac wake up I set earlier to fix that (unfortunately it did not do the trick as longer sleep still broken things up).

Will report back after few hours/days. Hopefully it will do the work.

It's still not working. My MacBooks slept 3 times since updating and checking that box. BTT Touch Bar still isn't showing up when it wakes up.

Very weird ;-(
If that checkbox is checked BTT definitely tells the system to show the Touch Bar, I'm a bit out of ideas why that wouldn't work on some systems.

Does this also happen when you restart BTT via the BTT menubar menu, or really just after sleep?

Hey, getting the same issue here since I updated to Mojave. Happens to me about 50% of the time after sleep, seems to be more often when sleep lasts longer. Doesn't happen when restarting BTT via the menu, only after sleep for me.

1 Like

Just after sleep.

Though I've noticed that sometimes after restarting the computer BTT Touch bar will load but scripts won't run. In those cases, sometimes restarting BTT fixes it, other times I have to restart the computer again to have the scripts run. Think that's a different issue though. I'm waiting for it to happen again to send you a debug file and screenshot.