Touch Bar Group Nesting

Is there a limit to how many Touch Bar Groups that can be nested?

I created an item that I want to move to a group. I tried to drag and drop but that didn't work. Is there another way?

Copy paste should be fine :slight_smile:

If I right click over the item I can select copy, but if I then right click over the group there is no paste option. If I use Command-V to paste it makes a copy of the item below the group, rather than in the group. That's what made me wonder if there was a limit to how many groups can be nested.

You cannot make a group inside a group

Instead, add two seperate groups, and within them make triggers that "Open TouchBar Group with Name".
Open TB G W Name will still work if groups are hidden, so you can hide the additional group to stop its button from showing up

1 Like

Thanks, but I'm having trouble getting this to work. I'd appreciate a screenshot or a more detailed explanation.

Just to be clear, here's what I'm looking to do. On my main Touch Bar within an application I'm using I'd have a button that would say Referrals. Clicking on that would open a new Touch Bar with various specialities (to simplify say A, B, C, D, E, F, G). Then clicking on any of those buttons would open a new Touch Bar with buttons for each speciality (for example if I clicked C, I'd then see Dr. 1, Dr. 2, Dr. 3, Dr. 4, Dr. 5). Clicking on those buttons would generate multiple actions.

The easiest would be: create several groups
A
B
C
D
And put your desired action in them.
And hide them (⌘D).
After all, create a new group. And put in several actions "open Touch Bar group....A", "open touch bar group.....B" etc. Don't hide this group! It's the one you'll see on your TouchBar :slightly_smiling_face: I'll check if I have some usable screenshots, wait a sec

This should help, illustrating my explanation :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks!! I'm still testing it but I have a couple of issues so far. I have a button on my Touch Bar called Referrals. It has 3 Open Touch Bar Groups (so far), but when I touch it it just opens the first group, Cardiology.

Also, when I click on Cardiology it opens the two buttons (Guerra, Vora) as expected, but I can't figure out how to go back. Clicking Esc or the x just removes all my custom buttons. I suppose I can add a custom button but I imagine there must be an easier way to move back.

Indeed. For any reason, your "Referrals" group contains only two groups (Ortho and Phys Med), but opens the cardiology group.
Its own action should be: Open Touch Bar Group: Referrals
And you have to add one more group, with the action Open Touch Bar Group: Cardiology.

In order to go back, you have to add another button inside the group, that opens the previous group. There is no "open last group" possibility (maybe @Andreas_Hegenberg could think about this feature for a future update ? :innocent:), but you can emulate it by adding a button that opens the Cardiology group again (or maybe even one that brings up the Referrals group too). As a suggestion, I would make the buttons with the doctors stick to the left, and the "go back" ones to the right - or to the very left, up to you.

I'm a med student on summer vacation, if you need any help let me know!

@Caliguvara

And you have to add one more trigger * :wink:

Basically, you can't have a group in another group, and that's strict. Also you can only have one group open at one time, opening two would cause a conflict.

So, store all groups, including sub-level groups in the root level.
if you want two groups open at one time, you'd need to merge their triggers into one group manually.

Here's a basic setup / framework I made to demonstrate:
Group Heirarchy.bttpreset (37.0 KB)

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be in touch on some other issues. When you're in your final year of residency and looking for a job, let me know!

Thanks! It was very helpful to download your preset and see it action.

1 Like