Some settings from a previous (non-SetApp) installation are lost

Hello.

My BTT trial ended today so I subscribed to SetApp and installed BTT from there.

I imported my latest preset that included both triggers and settings but learned that not all settings were indeed imported. Some settings (such as mouse or window-snapping related ones) are back to default in the new BTT instance.

I've read all relevant forum posts but couldn't find a working solution.

This is what my ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool folder looks like:

I don't know if the SetApp BTT instance uses the same folder as the standalone one?

I've been switching back and forth between the two instances trying to figure it out so the Date Modified column isn't much of a help.

I did not expect this to happen so, unfortunately, I do not have a recent backup of the Application Support folder.

Is there any way to restore my original settings? I've spent a lot of time on them so this is frustrating. When I switch back to the standalone BTT instance, the settings are as they were so they should still be located somewhere, I just don't know where or rather what specific files they are.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Adam

for technical reasons SetApp version uses a different settings file, it is located in ~/Library/Preferences/com.hegenberg.bettertouchtool-setapp.plist

You can quit BetterTouchTool then delete the -setapp.plist and rename the old com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.plist in the same folder to com.hegenberg.bettertouchtool-setapp.plist

This only affects app settings, trigger setups etc. are stored in the same way for both the SetApp and Non-Setapp

1 Like

So easy! And seems to have worked! Thank you, Andreas!

And let me also say huge thanks for developing this amazing piece of software! It's basically the only reason my Mac hasn't been thrown out of the window yet. :sweat_smile: