"Show Custom Context Menu (NEW)" sometimes not showing up

Hello there Andreas,

First, I wanted to which you a Happy New Year! :tada:

Describe the bug
I'm having a bug with the "Show Custom Context Menu (NEW)" action. I'm using it to build an emoji picker, as you can see in the attached screenshot. Unfortunately, from time to time the menu doesn't show up at all. The issue is almost like this bug report, except it's not related to fullscreen apps (I never use them). The context menu is invisible, but still clickable, meaning I can click on a emoji to insert it (even if the menu is invisible).

I never made the bug report because I didn't managed to understand what could cause it or how to reproduce it. It just happens from time to time. I thought it was related to having several monitors, but I recently faced it while not connected to my external monitors. My only guess is that it could be caused by Mission Control, when having the "distinct spaces" option enabled (see screenshot). I'm guessing this because usually when it happens, it still works fine on another space.

Let me know if I can try anything to help you narrow down the issue.

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro M2 Pro
  • macOS version: 13.5.2
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.364

I am also experiencing an identical issue to this - I have a global keyboard shortcut that used to show a custom context menu. However, the custom context menu has recently stopped showing (v4.318)

I know that the shortcut is still triggered OK, because I ticked 'show when shortcut is triggered' under 'HUD Overlay' and the HUD label is coming up when I press the key combination.

As per previous poster, let me know if I can test potential resolutions etc.

@Andreas_Hegenberg Is there any logs I can send you to help you troubleshoot this issue? It just happened now. Triggering the action on another monitor, then back on my main one is what allowed to fix it.

Note that my issue may be different than the one described by carlosp_uk since for me it just happens from time to time, whereas in his case it seems to be consistent.

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue. In some cases, the context menu that I mostly use does not appear. I have noticed that this usually happens when I am using full-screen applications and open the BetterTouch window. I have to restart the application every time I make a change in BetterTouch settings to get the menu display back.

If it was related to fullscreen apps, I think this might be fixed in 4.423 alpha, but I'm not 100% sure. The alpha is uploading now.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this Andreas. Unfortunately for me it's totally unrelated to full screen apps, I never use them.
I'll still try this new build to check if it solves it by any chance.

I just tested the latest alpha version 4.423. The issue doesn't seem to be completely resolved.

I made a short video illustrating the issue. I noticed that when I bring up the context menu on the fullscreen application, it appears on the desktop instead of within the fullscreen application.

Vidéo : Dropover Cloud Upload

Could you try again with 4.424?

I have installed the latest version 4.426. Currently, the display bug no longer appears. I am monitoring this to see if it reoccurs later.

1 Like

After several days of use, the bug continues to appear randomly, but less frequently than before.

I can't figure out the true reason for the bug and under what conditions it no longer appears correctly. On some occasions, the bug occurs when I open the BetterTouch configuration panel.

The bug consistently appears when using applications in full screen; the menu displays on the desktop instead of on the full-screen application. Only a restart of BetterTouchTool resolves it.

I thought it was fixed for me, but no it just started again now. No monitors attached. It's definitely related to Spaces.

Here's a screen record of the issue attached. As you can see, when I click on the Play icon, the menu doesn't show up. And as soon as I move the BTT view to my Space n°1, it shows up. Moving it again to Space n°2, 3 or 4 causes the issue again. It's as if the menu was somehow glued to a specific Space for some reason.

Let me know if I can help in any way by checking logs or else. At the moment I haven't restarted BTT on purpose so the bug is still occurring.

Video:

Hello,

Have you taken another look? The bug still occurs, but much less than before. Every time it happens, I have to restart BetterTouch.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

The issue still occurs, in some cases, the menu doesn't want to appear anymore. Have you been able to find a solution? Every time the problem happens, I have to restart Bettertouch.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the issue anymore, the menus always seem to work for me. Do you see any pattern?

Thank you for your feedback, the issue seems to occur when switching monitors. I use an external monitor at home with the computer in clamshell mode, and at work with the internal computer screen open and another external monitor. I have also noticed that the problem can occur when opening the BetterTouch configuration window. Hoping that this can help you.