Secure input preventing BTT from functioning

Describe the bug
When resuming from sleep, about 50% of the time BTT doesn’t work because "Secure input is activated".

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Keyboard.

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MBP
  • macOS version: Monterey 12.2.1 (21D62)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.741 (1883)

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
BTT used to work properly, I’ve only seen that behavior recently—though I can’t pinpoint exactly when this started happening. Also, sometimes BTT starts working by itself within a couple seconds, other times I have to lock/unlock the MBP for BTT to start working again.

did you recently install some security software or similar? This is usually caused by other software that enables secure input

No, not that I can think of. I don’t have an antivirus either.

Is there any way (logs, etc.) to see what activates secure input?

unfortunately not really. macOS does have a function to retrieve the app that enabled secure input (and forgot to disable it), but that function is unreliable and buggy. Especially if it shows "loginwindow" this basically means nothing - it could have been any app in that case.

Possibly try upgrading to 12.3, Apple has fixed an issue related to the login window there - but I do not know whether it is relevant to this issue.

The interesting thing here is that I have other apps that define global keyboard shortcuts (for example: MonitorControl, to adjust the brightness of secondary monitors), and the assigned shortcuts for those apps still work correctly when BTT is displaying its warning message in the menu about Secure Input. This is why I assumed it was a problem specific to BTT.

Standard shortcuts will continue to work with secure input, but BTT is using more advanced techniques for special shortcuts which wouldn't be possible otherwise (e.g. key sequences, shortcuts including FN and many more)

Oh I see, true, FN shortcuts are only possible in BTT (I think).

I hate those bugs. The only option now is to eliminate apps one by one, and since this is intermittent on resume from sleep this gonna take ages. Urgh.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.