New BetterTouchTool UI Progress

@Andreas_Hegenberg More stuff in the list of stuff. You can move them to completed yourself as I won't know if they're not in the changelog.

@GoldenChaos! Come join me too! You can use your mod power to add to this list

This list will be re-commented every now and then.

Bugs:

• Table View: Edits don't save automatically / Cells don't update to reflect edit (was editing trigger names)
  • TouchBar: Setting the stick to left makes it stick to right. (icon issue)
  • TouchBar: Setting colours is a nightmare. Keeps resetting or bugging out to illegal colours (i think, because it's acting weird: Shows black in bar, shows 100% transparent in the well, shows a colour value in the picker)
  • :joy:
  • Setting the font color on a multi selection changes the icon size!
  • Common settings for applescript widgets aren't available for multi selection. May corrupt data here as it shows the normal trigger config.
  • Corner Radius Picker for Apple script widget looses focus after each character typed in.
  • Leftmost column doesn't update when a CAG is renamed

Wishlist of small changes:

• :red_circle: In the table view, double right arrow doesn't expand the group / actions anymore
  • :red_circle: More stable ⌘Z. It fails a lot.
  • :red_circle: Make the selection palettes pop out of the add buttons instead of the config column, it results in less mouse movement
  • Space doesn't open table view groups
  • When adding a TouchBar trigger, have the 'normal touch bar button' selected as default so i can just press enter to confirm a normal trigger. Though, I actually think the seperate buttons 'add normal trigger' and 'add widget' was a bit quicker.
  • Keyboard Shortcut action should be default for a new regular button.
  • Arrow keys should always control triggers, and not anything in the config. This would be great for batch editing, e.g. I can press down, leave my mouse where it is and click. and then use tab for the config column.

• Keep refining performance
  • :ok: enter to save and refresh (improve)
  • Handling of multi-trigger edits (improve, all the boxes go blank even if values are the same)

• :dark_sunglasses: Make hidden triggers more readable
    • 70% ish opacity (refine when you test)
    • Customisable Colour for hidden triggers
    • Italic Text 100% opacity
  • Save Column Sizes across restarts
  • :dark_sunglasses: Refine the - + buttons for activation group column (leftmost). Icons should be used (I gave u + and - icons I think) and the plus '+' should be first (+ -)
  • :dark_sunglasses: Remove the <<< button in the Activation Apps/groups column, replacing it with resizing that column. (Squish it small to icon only)
  • :dark_sunglasses: More Concise Config Column (lowprio)
  • :dark_sunglasses: Speech bubble triangle for actions a biiiit more taller as I can barley see it... Remove the cells' bottom padding to accomodate for that? (and also the top padding for triggers that aren't first on the list so that they touch if possible) (lowprio)
    17%20pm
    Adding a drop shadow and a fill to these to make them look like a card would also be cool. (ref. my mockup)

Points of Friction:

• Adding Multiple Triggers and Setting their action
  • Moving triggers out from one group to another (column view)
  • Saving edits is still too finicky to be released
  • It would also be great if the color picker would stop switching modes, if thats not a system thing...

Not Possible
  • :ok: Space to hide/show triggers (Space is kinda better than ⌘D) (Not Possible, used by default macOS to expand group in table view)
Completed

:white_check_mark: Grey text for hidden triggers
:white_check_mark: Disable icon inverting in the Activation Group column
:white_check_mark: Magic mouse uses the old icon (you have a duplicate in there, one is a tiff and the new one is a png?
:white_check_mark: You missed a way to access the docs, usage, BTT license / version and news info in the new UI. Try an “info” menubar

All these things aside, multi-editing existing triggers is a joy!

I just noticed that the Activation Groups column (leftmost) doesn't update when a CAG is renamed. Added to list :wink:

Not forcing anything but I think we'd all appreciate if that list is ploughed through one day. It's getting a bit big..

Check Numbers, too, which has a similar setup but with clusters of theme colors.

I think I have fixed everything I could reproduce.

Just a few things that won't change:

• :red_circle: In the table view, double right arrow doesn't expand the group / actions anymore

Sorry the arrows are used for navigation between the cells. However you can press space to expand.

• :red_circle: Make the selection palettes pop out of the add buttons instead of the config column, it results in less mouse movement

Unfortunately that's not easily possible, also I like that the user sees where the configuration resides.

• Keyboard Shortcut action should be default for a new regular button.

They kind of are, I can't assign a keyboard action directly, but it should open the dropdown with the keyboard shortcut section open.

• Arrow keys should always control triggers, and not anything in the config. This would be great for batch editing, e.g. I can press down, leave my mouse where it is and click. and then use tab for the config column.

Unfortunately that doesn't work well, the up and down keys are heavily integrated into the system frameworks and they are also need to move the text cursor in things like the Apple Script editor. They always control the last active element.

• :ok: enter to save and refresh (improve)

Enter will not happen in the near future, it causes too many problems. However I'll make more and more items auto-save.

• :dark_sunglasses: Remove the <<< button in the Activation Apps/groups column, replacing it with resizing that column. (Squish it small to icon only)

Unfortunately that doesn't work well currently, I think it's a bug in Apple's auto-layout system which doesn't like the particular view setup. Maybe in the future.

Adding a drop shadow and a fill to these to make them look like a card would also be cool. (ref. my mockup)

I don't like drop shadows here, especially because they are used nowhere else in the UI :slight_smile: I think they will fit even less with the next macOS version that brings all the iOS app to macOS.

The rest of the list is either already fixed or will be in the future (but possibly not before the 3.00 release).

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing / feeling the improvements!

I find hard to understand the blue icons. This is because I see Fn in most of them, even though the title or trigger keys are CTRL something

What happened to his action column? There should be a column in the middle

Those blue icons correspond to the visibility, not actions;
34%20am

Still, fn isn't available to select so I'm wondering why it's showing up for you.

On the color picker issue, would it be possible to define a color theme for the preset of an arbitrary amount of colors (say 16) and then have those pop up when choosing a color with an option to set another color. That way, users can have a predefined palette and there will be more consistency across the theme? This would be akin to what PowerPoint and Google Slides do.

1 Like

yes something like this would be great. (defining colors for the preset)

@manuelescolano good point, some keys like arrow or F keys always come with FN, but they are pressing it automatically. I'll hide it from the UI as that's not relevant for users.

Request

Would it be possible to add two different keyboard shortcuts for the two "Add Action" buttons? :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a BTT Preset for BTT in the old UI with, beneath others, the possibility to add quickly a new action or associated action, and I kinda miss them :disappointed_relieved:

Also, if BTT could remember wether the last window was in Fullscreen or not, this would be great… :wink:

1 Like

Good idea, will add those.

I just finished a fancy color picker in v2.847 that remembers the last used colors (in the future it may also allow to store preset specific colors).

3 Likes

FANCY COLOR PICKER! For the WIN! Gotta see this pronto!

1 Like

Nice! Love recently used. The default color rows can go IMO, or move recent to the top. Other then Black or White, the defaults are useless to me.

I like them :slight_smile:

I think having both is good for now, and will get improved if I can allow custom "favorite" colors in the future.

Agree, how about recents on top? That just makes more sense to all of us.

Doesn't feel right to me :grinning: Maybe because all color pickers I know have the defaults on top and recents/favorites on the bottom. But I'll play with it.

New version has crashed on me 4 times while working in Apple script window. Will see if I can reproduce, I do know each time it can be minutes after I run the Compile/Test.

got already a crash report from @Caliguvara, will be fixed with next build!

1 Like

Should be fixed in v2.847. (Super obscure bug with the macOS color panel, but luckily Google Chrome already encountered it https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/685394/17/chrome/browser/ui/cocoa/color_chooser_mac.mm#82 )

I also added a hidden option for now to hide the default colors in the picker:
defaults write com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool BTTDisableDefaultColors YES

Thanks! Like that hidden feature... THX!