Moving and Resizing Modifiers stopped working

After installing the latest alpha version update (see below), the moving and resizing of windows with the use of modifiers seized working.

When I press the modifier for moving a window, a snap area appears and wiggles, but the active window, which is set to move, does not move. The modifier combination for resizing windows does nothing at all.

Restarting BTT or changing the modifiers has no effect. It makes no difference whether an external device or the keyboard of the MacBook is used as an input.

Device information:

  • Type of Mac: MacBook Pro 2021, M1Pro chipset
  • macOS version: Ventura 13.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.023

As there hasn't been a change to this functionality in a long time, I'd recommend to restart your Mac, and maybe make sure no other app conflicts.

I quickly tested to verify, but it still works fine on my 3 machines.

I restarted my MacBook multiple times, and I have not installed new software that could conflict with the functionality. I can only say that the problem started immediately after the update and seems to be persistent.

On closer inspection, I realized that my snap areas aren't working properly either. I just restarted the machine again to make sure.

Very weird, maybe a permission issue?
You are sure BTT is enabled (check by clicking the menubar icon)?

Possibly try to remove BetterTouchTool from System Settings => Privacy & Security => Accessibility, then add it again. (Make sure to quit BTT before doing so).

If you want you can downgrade to a previous version, maybe other reports will come in for the current alpha to see a pattern (previous releases here: Index of /releases export your presets before downgrading)

If you want you can also go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Information and send the result to

It is weird indeed. The rest of BTT works normally.

Yes, BTT is enabled. And a downgrade to an older version does not help. This is surprising since I used the feature on a regular basis before the update.

I followed your advice and updated the permissions, but this had no effect. I will send you the diagnostic report.

Thank you for your swift replies.

I reinstalled BTT after manually deleting the files in the Application Support folder. After the reinstallation and the import of my settings, everything worked normally again.

It seems as if something got corrupted in the support files, but I cannot guess what caused the problem initially.