"Move/Resize Window" doesn't work as intended

Hi everyone,

I'd like create a shortcut where the active Finder window resizes to a third of the screen in both height and width and then moves to the top right corner of the screen. That works. But when I try to do the same but moving the window to the center right of the screen, the window moves to the top right slightly out of bounds. Not sure what I'm doing wrong since the setup looks very simple; maybe it's a bug?

Settings for resizing window to 1/3 of screen and moving to the top right of screen:

Settings for resizing window to 1/3 of screen and moving to the center right of screen:

Thanks,
Frank

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Mac Studio
  • macOS version: 12.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.931

You are moving the X to 100% of the screen with, this would mean the window starts on the very right of the screen. Instead I think this is what you want (if I understood correctly - if not, can you post a screenshot of a window that is placed like you want it to?

(for me it was easier to use the center of the window and screen to position)

Thanks for your feedback! Your settings work, but you are using Absolute for Y and 0 px. What if I want to position the window to the bottom right corner?

And yes, I'm moving X to 100% of the screen width, but I'm re-positioning the top right corner of the window which is supposed to be at the very end of the horizontal screen width. I guess I don't understand the logic behind it.

My end goal is to have 3 finder windows and make them all 1/3 of the screen width/height and move them all to the right from top to bottom (below screen shows only right half of the desktop):

ah true I didn’t notice you are using the top right corner. That should work - I’ll have a look again later! could you post a screenshot of how your settings position the window?

But I’m not using absolute position either as I’m placing the center of the window at the vertical center of the screen (0px offset from the screen center)

This setting:

Places the "Test 2" window here:

The "Change y origin to" at 33,33% doesn't seem to have any effect compared to 0%.

As a solution, I used the "Absolute" offset method as per your suggestion and then used top right, center and bottom right as anchors which worked fine.

ah now I see. You are moving the top right corner of the window. If you enter a positive Y value, it will try to move it up (which is not possible if it's already at the very top) - you would need to enter a negative value instead.

Sorry, maybe a stupid question, but what is the advantage of entering all these values over the Snap Areas where I can choose location and size of a window with the mouse?

snap areas are always absolute size and specific to a monitor (at least right now, I would like to change that but it's not easy).
The custom move resize can do percentages and basically configure any possible window position regardless of monitor. This makes sharing them much easier (see for example Simple Window Manager - SWM - Setup/Preset Sharing - BetterTouchTool Community (folivora.ai)

Right, I had to try it out to realize it - snap areas are monitor specific.

Mmm, but that means that if you only use one monitor, you don't need the other (complicated) feature. Are you sure this is clear to everyone who asks?

Or rather, if you use multiple monitors, you'll probably still be faster with monitor specific snap areas. :man_shrugging:

It‘s a valid point and in my case even helpful. Still curious why the other option didn’t work, but I can certainly move on with the options both of you provided. Thanks!

Frankly from Frank to Frank: I admire you for understanding all these different values. I always failed :joy: That's why I always use the snap areas, recently with shortcut. :smiley:

you can use SWM on multi monitor setup with keyboard shortcuts

Select window or swm uses front/latest window
open SWM with fn+W
move your mouse to other monitor
then use preferred shortcut

screen with cursor is target monitor

@yw4z Yeah, that's pretty cool. I haven't had the chance yet, but I'll be sure to take a closer look. Thanks for the hint.