Is it possible to make new layers using BTT

Hi! I wanted to ask this since on my PC, I have made caps lock a modifier key to a layer that replaces WASD to arrow keys, so I don't have to move my hands as much. I was wondering if this is possible on BTT?

I was going to say that I think it should be possible with the 'Advanced Conditions' section of the 'Trigger Conditions'; but I just had a look and there don't seem to be any advanced conditions for checking the status of keyboard modifiers, caps lock, etc (which was a shock and a bit of a let down :frowning: )

Not sure if there is another way to achieve it off the top of my head, sorry.

1 Like

Just had a bit of a further look, and it seems that you could potentially use the 'Toggle Presets Enabled/Disabled' action and apply it to the 'Caps Lock' key.

You could then create a new preset named something like CapsLockWASDArrowKeysLayer:

Configure the caps lock shortcut to toggle it on/off.

And then within that new preset, create standard keyboard shortcuts for W, A, S, D that assigns them to the arrow keys.

I haven't specifically tried it, but I believe that should then allow you to have that 'layer' toggled on/off when the caps lock key is pressed, and should get the functionality you're after.

I'm not sure if this is the best/most efficient/easiest way of achieving it, but at the very least I think it should work.

1 Like

I think @frank1's approach for remapping capslock to right control, then using keyboard shortcuts that look for right-control is the most reliable way to do this:

3 Likes

Thank you! I'll check it out!

1 Like

Thank you as well! I'll see which of the two answers work best for me.

1 Like

I've tried this out, and it works quite well, but sadly, I would have to make separate bindings to simulate cmd + right_arrow or shift + cmd + right arrow. I wondered if there was a better way to do this than just making all of the keybindings manually.