how to backup/import btt settings?

Hello,

I am not using any touchbar presets,

I just want to backup my keyshortcuts and touchpad gestures and other settings.

How do I backup and import the backed up settings?

All I see is the sync menu, but it says its experimental.

Are there any other ways of backing up?

presets -> export highlighted preset.
This allows you to save your configuration as a json file which can be imported back at any time.

@Andreas_Hegenberg
right,

I definitely thought it was going to be on the configuration page,

guess I was wrong. May be good idea to put it into configuration page to avoid confusion?

Anyhow, thank you!

Would it save the icon I attach to the buttons on the Touch Bar too?

Hi my system crashed but I have a backup and want to import my settings from my backup to my new system. Where in the OSX 10.15.5 system are they stored?

they are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool (go there via Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder, make sure to include the ~)

Any way to export all the presets as one file?

Is any way to make auto backup to cloud (iCloud/Dropbox/Google Drive)?
For example if i move ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool to iCloud and left a symlink on this path?
Or some other way

I recently did a clean install and backed up my computer hard drive in full. I found and copied over the old App Support/BTT folder to the new folder, replacing the files in the new folder. But when I restarted I got an error that BTT couldn't start properly and I needed to use the relauncher tool/app. Any idea how to address this?

Thanks!

Somehow, I have two default presets when I go to Presets. Should I backup both just in case? Or is there a way to see what is on each preset?

My experience with exporting & importing my presets has been hit or miss, and I'm perfectly willing to accept responsibility for not focusing on it enough to completely understand how it works and execute it properly. That said, I have a number or machines (I do software testing) and I'd just like to be able to replicate ALL my settings/preset with one click. Will this never be possible? Seems like I'm not alone.

1 Like

Which files specifically are we supposed to back up, and what is the correct way to restore them as some people mentioned it's hit or miss?

Is it these three files?

btt_data_store.version_4_089_build_2305
btt_data_store.version_4_089_build_2305-shm
btt_data_store.version_4_089_build_2305-wal

Did you ever figure this out?

This folder should be backed up (there is no guarantee for it to work/include everything when copying only specific files). Additionally the ~/Library/Preferences/com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.plist

however for most usecases it’s easier to just export/import your preset(s)

1 Like