GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

I've had an idea for skirting around this issue for a while now, but I haven't had time to build it yet. I'm thinking of wholesale replacing the left/right monitor grids with simple arrow buttons that move the currently selected window as-is to the monitors either to the immediate left or right.

I think this ends up being more intuitive because you won't ever get confused about what UI element resizes the window and what UI element moves the window.

I'll prioritize this once I've got initialization of the settings menu working!

You don't need to copy all of GC-BTT, just the button you want to customize! Make sure to hide that button in GC-BTT (if you don't want it to appear where it was) by unchecking the button's visibility checkbox. You can then position your copy wherever you like inline with GC-BTT's buttons. It's possible to have multiple presets coexisting simultaneously this way! :slight_smile:

This way, when you upgrade GC-BTT you'll only need to uncheck visibility for those buttons again. Your copies will be unaffected by upgrading by being in a separate preset!

EDIT: One final tip - many of the widgets in my preset are ordered using the "Display Order" property, which lets you manually set what order the buttons appear in regardless of where they're dragged inside the BTT preferences window. This could be why your lock button is not appearing in the right spot, even if you dragged it to the "correct" spot in BTT preferences. So make sure you give your widget a display order number corresponding to where you'd like it to appear - you can check the other widgets' display order numbers to get a sense for how they're ordered, it's pretty neatly organized I'd like to think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks for the detailed response. Testing it a bit more today, I had my cursor on the middle screen, but was working on an app on my left screen. When I launched the window switcher, the controls were on the middle screen, and it broke my brain in terms of what I should select! I got it wrong a few times before going back to my keyboard shortcuts.

No complaining necessarily, just sharing my experience a bit more with the UX. Would love to get it smoothed out. :smiley: @GoldenChaos

1 Like

If you didn’t pick it up, think of the smaller switchers on either side as “move to the left/right” instead of representing the actual displays. Maybe that’ll sort your brain out a little bit :wink:

the middle will always snap to the current display, left: one to the left, right: one to the right.

Unfortunatley if you try move to the right on the rightmost display itll loop back and go to the leftmost display which is a little confusing, but it wasn’t in my control.

@GoldenChaos
maybe it will be good to refine the idle state of the monitor palletes. My original idea was to have them as a little circular token thing with a chevron/triangle arrow inside, when you mouseover them the centre pallete moves over but the icon stays on top of it. I didn’t know how to implement it though so here’s what we got today.

I quite like being able to choose how to snap to another monitor as opposed to just “move to the other monitor” though!

1 Like

Oh, I know how to do that! I’ll give that idea a shot :grimacing:

1 Like

I recently performed a clean install of macOS and sync'd my BTT settings from presets. For some reason, my two finger slide to adjust volume trigger no longer works. Cleared the preset, tried a download from new (to latest experimental version) and it still doesn't work. Three finger brightness adjustment remains functional.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? Thanks!

I can confirm the two-finger volume gesture not working on my current working version. However, the gesture property is set correctly.

@Andreas_Hegenberg I think this one's a bug.

Is it enabled? Previous versions may have ignored the enabled property for gestures. Maybe I should enable them for all existing presets/setups.

@GoldenChaos great job with this, it shows what the TB is capable of. As a future feature request I'd like to have the Macbook's battery available. This would be very useful when running apps in full screen mode and there is to menu bar at the top of the screen.

1 Like

I'm absolutely working on adding this. I know it seems crazy that I don't already have it there, haha. I just need to make my own battery icons to make the built-in widget look nicer :slight_smile:

It is disabled - so yes, definitely forcibly enable them in a future update and don't allow them to be disabled! Previous versions did ignore this setting which is why I had them "disabled".

Oddly, the brightness gestures are also disabled, but they work fine. But... easier to just not have that setting at all since they don't appear on the Touch Bar anyway.

I got various complaints from people who wanted to be able to disable one set of gestures :slight_smile:

Well, just in case you don't force them to be enabled in a future version, I've corrected it locally :slight_smile:

Hi, just a quick feedback: the settings window is still bit buggy for me (v. 2.814) - it seems to doesn't save the settings every time I reopen it but the settings are actually set.

e.g. the switch for volume mute will go on 'off' in the setting panel while it is still working on the TB
It is buggy for several items.

Also, thanks for your preset and your updates - I really like it!

1 Like

@starkninja Shoot. Did any of the settings rows in the window turn red before you flipped the switches?

Edit: found out why the initialization wasn’t working, there’s a little bit of work I need to do but should have a new experimental version up today!

Edit2: It's up! Check the release thread :smiley:

Hey!

Nice work, the panel does seem to work better but once restarted BTT, the panel is broken again. One step closer though!

(and no red switches)
Thanks!

edit: by broken I mean the switches are malfunctioning again.

This settings window is one scary unpredictable monster...:open_mouth:

Haha, I think I know what's going on though! :slight_smile:

@starkninja did you click the "Restore Preexisting Configuration" button after upgrading? If not, the settings in the menu will reflect your old settings, but the upgraded GC-BTT will not have had those settings applied yet. So if you try to flip the switches before restoring your configuration, it might get caught on the first flip as it corrects itself.

If that's what's happening, you can try this to confirm: completely uninstall GC-BTT and "upgrade" to the current version again. Before flipping any settings switches, click Restore Preexisting Configuration. Your Touch Bar should snap back to its previous state and you shouldn't need to flip any switches, and when you do they should behave properly.

Let me know if that's the case!

Thanks for your reply!

So I always completely delete any version of your preset before importing a new version.
I did it again just now and restoring preexisting configuration doesn't work completely, it seems to bring back some of my config but also some that I didn't switch on before (e.g. color snapper, caffeinate and others)

Not too sure what's happening or maybe I'm missing something but I can't think of what.

That being said, it doesn't really affect the great experience with your preset :slight_smile:
I'm just not sure which apps have badges on since they always revert a default state where some apps are on and some aren't.
Again this again only if I restart BTT (and I assume after a restart of the computer).

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I really like the goldenchaos preset and it made me purchase the BTT app.

Can i ask if there is a way to add on the touchbar the system temp (i dont know if an app like smcfancontrol needs to be connected) so that i can have this info handy!

Thanks alot!