GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

Good idea :smile: I should also write that FAQ. I think once I have the new settings menu fully working I'll release that and take a short break to write the FAQ.

@seb785 've also added other widgets and buttons outside of GC-BTT and the way i keep them even after updates is by adding them to there own preset so they won't be affected my any changes.

@GoldenChaos the AirPods Connect unfortunatly doesnt work for me, it shows the battery info when i connect manually but i can't seem to be able to use it's connect feature.
My airpods are named "Samahy's Airpods". i've tried with just Airpods and even with yours IIRC "the timme flakes" but still the connect feature doesn't work.
here are the current scripts inside them: https://pastebin.com/1zgsitrq
one of the things i did change in the preset is the bluetooth buttons in both the connectivity actions and the secondary menu bar as i used my own script or rather made bash script and executed the .sh.

1 Like

Hi @syto293,

Thanks so much for your response. Can you expand on to protocol you have in place? How is your master preset set up in order to accordingly override the default GC -BTT?

Thanks,

The AirPods button doesn't use any of the Bluetooth button code, so you should be able to change that without affecting things. I'll have a look and see what's going on after I've got the new settings menu all worked out :slight_smile: if I forget, please just remind me!

Also, this ties into another feature I want to add: the ability to define the name of your AirPods through the settings window. One step at a time...

If you want to automate the reproduction of your GC-BTT customizations, have a look at the "GC's GC-BTT" preset script under the "Other" tab in the BTT settings. You can basically script the whole thing to set the settings you want, change variables to options that are not normally available, move items around, and a lot more if you make your preset script big enough. You can pretty much tell BTT to do anything.

I've pasted it below. I don't modify GC-BTT too heavily because, well, it's the interface I want to use haha. But I do change one of the date variables to something not normally available and enable a special option menu button (Sleep) that there is no setting for! So you could start to see how you could use that to make GC-BTT fit in with your own personal presets that are loaded alongside it.

-- GC's GC-BTT
-- This is a PRESET script, called from GC-BTT Settings

tell application "BetterTouchTool"
	try
		-- Set Escape Key persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "escKeyStyle" to "combo"

-- Set Calendar App persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "calendarApp" to "fantastical"

-- Set Home Strip persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBackForward" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showRefresh" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showNewTab" to "true"

-- Set Menu Bar persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "menuBarSize" to "medium"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showCollapseMenuBar" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSettings" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBrowserTabs" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showEmojiPicker" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showCurrentLanguage" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showAppSwitcher" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showCaffeinate" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showConnectGamepad" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showConnectBeats" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showConnectAirPods" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBluetooth" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showWifi" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showMicrophoneMute" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showVolumeMute" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showVolumeDown" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showVolumeUp" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBrightnessDown" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBrightnessUp" to "true"

-- Set Date/Time persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "dateSize" to "dynamic"
		set_persistent_string_variable "timeFormat" to "12hour"

-- Set a custom date format
		set_persistent_string_variable "dateFormatMedium" to "E d h:mm a"

-- Set Weather Widget persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "showWeather" to "dynamic"

-- Set Spotlight Key persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSpotlight" to "never"

-- Set Siri Key persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSiri" to "never"

-- Set Notification Center Key persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "showNotificationCenter" to "always"

-- Show the Sleep key in the Option Menu
		update_trigger "4375EE82-970A-49C3-A280-27A102CF19C7" json "{\"BTTEnabled2\" : 1}"

-- Set Dock Badge persistent variables
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSafariBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSafariPreviewBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showChromeBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showChromeCanaryBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showFirefoxBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showFaceTimeBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showiMessageBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showWhatsAppBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showTelegramBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showFranzBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSkypeBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSkypeBusinessBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showYakYakBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showChattyBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showCaprineBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showGoofyBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showAppleMailBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showOutlookBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSparkBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showAirmailBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showPolymailBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBoxyBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showMailplaneBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showPostboxBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showMailMateBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showSlackBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showDiscordBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showDiscordCanaryBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showTrelloBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showBodoBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showAbstractBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showZeplinBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showTweetbotBadge" to "true"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showTwitterBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showTwitchBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showFacebookBadge" to "false"
		set_persistent_string_variable "showTumblrBadge" to "false"

-- Refresh the Touch Bar
		trigger_named "Check All Settings"
	end try
end tell

@seb785 don't set GC as the default and make your edits in your own Preset.
my setup is as follows.

@GoldenChaos
i thought about automating my changes and integrating it into my GC preset;However, i chose not to bec it'll be easier for me to edit and modify later without going through a mountain of items even though i color coded them.
"Power in Diversity" and all. and i'm eagerly waiting your new release.

1 Like

@Andreas_Hegenberg in recent builds of BTT my dock badge scripts are returning an error. I haven't changed them since I introduced the hide on DND feature a few versions ago, and they were working then. I'm not sure what the error is, but this means that dock badges are totally broken. Here's a sample dock badge script for Apple Mail, can you see what's causing the error?

tell application "BetterTouchTool"
	try
		set dndEnabled to get_string_variable "dndEnabled"
	end try
end tell

if dndEnabled is "false" then
	if application "Mail" is running then
		tell application "System Events"
			tell process "Dock"
				try
					set badgeNumber to value of attribute "AXStatusLabel" of UI element "Mail" of list 1
					if badgeNumber exists then
						if badgeNumber contains "iPhone" then
							return "iPhone"
						else if badgeNumber contains "iPad" then
							return "iPad"
						else if badgeNumber contains "watch" then
							return "Watch"
						else if badgeNumber contains "Mac" then
							return "Mac"
						else
							return badgeNumber
						end if
					else
						return ""
					end if
				on error
					return ""
				end try
			end tell
		end tell
	else
		return ""
	end if
else
	return ""
end if

Your script seems to work fine here. (I didn't try it with Mail because I don't use that, but used some other app instead).

Is there any error logged / output?

@Andreas_Hegenberg and @GoldenChaos

I am having problems with Bluetooth toggle functionality because I do not have the Bluetooth menu showing in the task bar. I wrote the below script that integrates the homebrew "blueutil" addon. The output is working, but when incorporating into my BTT "Option" submenu, it cycles on/off until I let go of the modifier key, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is an error, but I don't know what it is. Is there a way to get the error portion of a try block to output what the error is? Everything I've looked at online seems to say you have to define a bunch of different cases and see which one returns, which seems inefficient.

@seb785 GC-BTT actually used blueutil in some of its earliest releases, but requiring users to install an additional helper caused more problems than it was worth, and so helper apps were systematically eliminated (looking at you, icalBuddy). If you're going to use the bluetooth toggle, I genuinely recommend just enabling the BT menu bar item. It will be a more reliable experience!

Thanks. I was wondering what was going on with the weather widget. Just downloaded the stable version yesterday. I'm running OSX Mojave and saw your note about it not working w/ that version of OS.

UPDATE: Location Services has to be enabled for weather to work. I just resolved.

If you're still running versions of GC-BTT that old, I highly recommend upgrading to 2.641! It's very, very stable and feature-complete, and much more customizable.

You can log the error message like this:

(in this example I forced an error)

1 Like

Uhhhhhh... "System Events got an error: Application isn’t running." But I am typing this from Safari :joy:

Weird, have you tried to restart your machine? :smiley:

1 Like

PLEASE don't let that be the answer... :joy:

EDIT: Yup, that fixed it. :man_facepalming:

You're not the only one, nor will you be the last, to fall into traps where turning off an on again fixes a problem! I fell into it last week where I tried soooo many other solutions to fixing a problem and doing exactly that worked!

1 Like

I just installed golden chaos and am loving it. One feature that I'd love to see (which perhaps is already requested or available, and I'm just not seeing it?) is the ability to fast forward through the media widget. I actually sort of liked the native scroll bar in the Touch Bar for media. But I'd even be happy if the "next" and "back" buttons could fast forward if long pressed, or something like that. Again, if this is already possible, I apologize for this comment!

2 Likes

Right now, the fast forward key will skip 30sec on long press, and the rewind key will rewind 15sec. I THINK there is a system standard shortcut for using these keys to do a regular fast forward/rewind, but I also think it uses modifier keys meaning that GC-BTT gets in the way of it. I think this is a good feature to have so I'll look into implementing it in the next few versions!

Great tool. I love it. But I have three issues:

1. Is there a way to show the default apple tochbar controls in apps with specific support like mail, reminders and such? I prefer them to the Golden Chaoes ones as these don't react to which app I am in.

2. Events from all Calendars are shown, not just from the ones visible in Calendar.
    You wrote: "Versions 2.531 and earlier require the calendar widget to first be edited to include the names of the calendars that you wish to display." I have the stable Version 2.641. Do I still have to edit the calendar widget? If yes how?

3. Reminders are showing reminders I don't find on my in the reminders app on mac. Any idea how this is possible?

Thanks for responding! You're awesome! Just FYI that I've tried doing long presses on both buttons (before I posted, and just now too), but nothing happens. I've tried it with Spotify and youtube in Safari. No skips forward or back. Perhaps I'm not doing something right? In any case, thank you for all your work!