GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

Hi,
First: I've just got my first MacBook with TouchBar and this BTT-Preset is awesome!

• I also got the bug mentioned by @Sylentfury that events are doubling (iCloud Calendar, I'm using the latest version of Fantastical 3).
  • Is there a way to swap the modifier keys for the control and option-menu? I don't need the window snapping and want to use the option key for the control-strip (because I then could use both the left and right side option button)
  • Is there a way to temporarily disable BTT Touch Bar Settings to get access to the TouchBar actions/buttons built into macOS (because I'd like to try them out)

Not sure. Iā€™m using Catalina, works perfectly as long as outlook is running in the background.

Hello,
Great tool @GoldenChaos :slight_smile:

When I click on the "fn" key I'm expecting to see either the raw keys or the function keys, but instead it's a merge of all the bars.

I am the only one to have this issue?

• For the modifier keys: In configuration, and you have two options. 1) Delete the whole window snapping triggers folder or 2) uncheck the ā€œenable/visible on Touch Barā€ option for each trigger. Then go to the [control] control strip and change each trigger to ā€œmodifier based visibilityā€ to ā€œonly show while all these modifiers are pressedā€ and check option key.
  • And to temporarily disable BTT add your keyboard trigger (mine is fn z) and for action ā€œtoggle bettertouchtool Touch Barā€

please excuse any mistakes Iā€™m typing on the phone, if you need more help Iā€™m more than happy to assist.
edit: formating

1 Like

I tried a new installation of BBT and GC and I still have the same problem, it works for a while and the problem comes back (with your script or the original one), Catalina BBT and GC are up to date on the latest versions.
It works perfectly with Apple Mail, I will wait for the final version of BigSur.
It is certainly a problem with the version of my Outlook.

I figured out the Calendar bug at least temporarily. Go to All Apps --> Calendar Actions --> Open Selected Group --> Calendar Widget. Then for Widget Specific scroll down to "Events to show" and select "Normal Events, All Day Events, and Reminders." This looks to be a BTT bug rather than a GC bug. Anyway it works for now! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! That resolved the issue for me, too.

Hi Guys,

I am facing an issue with GoldenChaos (or BTT in general). It is draining my battery rapidly. It's on the first place in Activity Monitor under "Energy Usage". I have only installed GoldenChaos after buying Better Touch Tool. I am using only basic functions of it, I disabled all dock badges and the problem still occurs. Do you have any solution for that? Could somebody please explain to me how can I disable scripts that I am not using?

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips or recommendations!

The search on this forum (and the search terms themselves) make it impossible to find, but please, how can I get rid of the GoldenChaos menu bar extra? It does not have any function as far as I can discern. Cmd-dragging should work, but alas.

No, I am not talking about the BTT menu extra.
No, I am not talking about anything in the Touch Bar or I would have written Touch Bar, I am referring to the default menu bar at the top of the screen, where towards the right edge so-called menu bar extras can live.

Thanks!

Here's the post! I'll split it off into its own thread shortly so people can find it more easily:

My stock response is usually that GC does use a fair bit of energy, but that is some insane power usage - not normal for GC. I'm actually not sure why this would be happening. Time to call in @Andreas_Hegenberg to do some digging? I feel like this could be a very specific kind of bug.

Hey there! I deleted BTT and Golden Chaos entirely from my mac and installed it once again and it has significantly lower power usage than on the attached screenshot. The issue is solved for now I guess :grin:

Thank you @GoldenChaos Jason!

Hey there, Love your preset! Since tweaking a bit I wanted to change the time Widget so that it displays 24h instead of AM/PM, but every time I edit it, bettertouchtool just crashes. Any tips?
@GoldenChaos

Secondly, If I do a long press on the time/date widget, all my appointments are there twice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey @GoldenChaos, i had also so the problem that my battery was draining very fast. so i did a clean reinstall of BTT and wait a few day. Battery was fine. After that i setup Golden Chaos and that was also fine. After again a few days, my macbook starts with battery draining. Do you have any idea why that happens?
Also i had the dame problem with the appointments which are showing twice ..

thanks

Are you using the built-in GC Settings panel? You can access it from the system menu bar (it's the icon that matches my avatar), this is the best way to change the Date/Time setting:

Just tested and no crashes for me!

Will look into the multiple events issue, could be a config issue on my end. But I really want to build a more intuitive way to choose what shows up there... something I can put in the GC settings window.

@un_2305 I'm not sure why that would happen. Are you tracking the actual energy usage number through activity monitor to make sure that's what was causing the battery drain?

@GoldenChaos

Wow thanks for the quick reply! I didn't know about the menu, works great! You definitely got me hooked on bettertouchtool :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I am having some issues editing the date/time. I want to display the day only:
"E d" but the date keeps jumping back to "d MMM H:mm" every time expand and collapse the right menu strip

• I've edited: touchbar > date/time widget in the menu bar to "E d"
  • I've replaced all date format strings in: named & other triggers > all apps > Menu bar triggers > Named triggers: Check date/time settings and Refresh date/time settings
  • I've replaced everything in: name & other triggers > all apps > Import / Upgrade triggers
    -I've replaced everything in: name & other triggers > all apps > Presets
    -I've edited the ~Library/../btt_user_variables.plist

But after every expand/collapse, the date format jumps back to:

I suppose there has to be another hidden stash of them I did not find yet. What am I missing?

Thx in advance!

Has anyone figured out where "Show Connectivity Actions" is hiding? Been living with the broken AirPods battery display for a while now.