GoldenChaos-BTT Support and Feedback Thread

I'd like to inquire how to let "Fantastica" or "Calendar" alerts show up in my Touch Bar? I've set it to "visible", but nothing happens. I'm probably doing something wrong here...

(Latest version of BTT 2.697, latest stable version of Golden Chaos (2.641) with a 2018 15" MBP on MacOS 10.14.2)

also

BTW your preset + BTT literally turns a gimmick into something useful. Hallelujah! I'm so thankful for your work (and also to the dev who created BTT).

1 Like

They should show up automatically as long as you've installed icalBuddy - if you haven't, I recommend installing it via Homebrew with brew install ical-buddy. Make sure you're using the GC-BTT settings menu on the Touch Bar and NOT messing with the checkboxes in the BTT preferences window.

Worth noting that the setting for which calendar app to use doesn't actually change where it gets the calendar info from - it uses icalBuddy either way, so the setting is just for which app should be opened when you tap on a calendar item.

1 Like

Thanks. It works now! Just one more thing.
Is there any way I can configure all my upcoming events to say the day of the week as well ? It only says the date, time, and title. (Additionally, is there a way to make the text be in a different colour, depending on what kind of calendar it's on?)

icalBuddy is a pain, but it can definitely be modified to output all of those things. Check out icalBuddy's website where they detail how to write icalBuddy terminal commands to customize the output: https://hasseg.org/icalBuddy and https://hasseg.org/icalBuddy/man.html

You'll have to edit all of the calendar widgets directly through the BTT Preferences window to make this work, this is a deeper customization than what I offer through my settings panel. These changes won't survive between GC-BTT upgrades as a result, so consider copying the calendar widgets into your own separate preset so that they don't get deleted when you upgrade.

2 Likes

alright. Thanks a lot. I'll do my best to make it work (hopefully)

1 Like

Just installed the new beta. Looks neat, really. The one thing that never worked properly for me is the switching of input languages --- if I activate that widget, I see "Hebrew (QWERTY)" and "Greek" (which I use for typing math & phys symbols), but "U.S." is never visible. (I suspect it's menu item number 0.)
I ended up installing this widget by @kovpas Current input source icon instead, which does the job fine.
What would also have been neat is, if I could edit what showed up in the Emoji picker (which in my case would be a bunch of mathematical operators like ÷∩∪∝∞∆∇∊≈≲≳≠≡⊕⊗ )

Hi!
Loving the GCBTT! just one small issue, I have no beats headphones and if I try to use the touchbar to connect to them through BT it doesn't work, even after renaming them Beats on BT menu. If I connect them manually, the beats logo changes to blue and all looks good, but cannot get them to connect just by clicking the touchbar. Probably I'm doing something wrong?

There are a few bugs with the language picker I intend to fix. Thanks for reporting this :slight_smile:

@Sergio_Martin If you tap the Connect to Beats button and then wait for ~10 seconds, do they eventually connect? Sometimes it's just slow because Bluetooth is slow, and trying again to connect just makes it seem like it went faster.

no luck, waited for a good while and nothing. not a big issue, as it takes 5 seconds to connect through the system settings

Does the BT menu open at all after you press the button? Do you see it click Connect on your Beats? If not, what do you see happen in the menu bar?

nothing happens, nothing opens

Do you have the Bluetooth menu enabled in the macOS menu bar?

@GoldenChaos

Non-W1 headphones don’t work right?

Any bluetooth headphones should work just fine, the script doesn't use any functionality from the W1 chip.

Interesting, I didn't know that! sounds cool.

Maybe after I get the AirPods UI setup working (i do need some help though) I'll change it to a bluetooth headphones button. So, It connects just based on the name right? And would the battery information work with any BT headphones?

Yes, any BT headphones that report their battery status anyway. There are a few different battery displays in the system BT info, which is how I get the widgets to show only the correct battery display - it's not based on name but actually on whether or not there are separate L/R batteries! Check the different scripts to see how I call the different battery percentages :slight_smile:

Cool, I'll check it out sometime. AirPods widget and multiple desktop window snapping (oops nearly forgot about that) first though!

1 Like

I'm still having trouble with the now playing widget. It only recognizes Itunes and not Youtube/Netflix. When I'm playing youtube videos etc all it shows is:

I'm guessing you're using Chrome - the now playing widget only shows now playing info for things that support the system now playing status control a la iTunes. Chrome, unfortunately, has not added support for this feature yet, so media played with Chrome won't show up in the now playing widget.

A good way to check if the app you're playing from supports the now playing widget is to check the now playing widget in the Today view of Notification Center:

42%20AM

If it says "not playing", then the one on the Touch Bar won't be showing either!

Hey @GoldenChaos , Do you have an ETA on a fix for " [Settings Window] Setting switches don't actually update to reflect the value of changed settings" .

Loving the dev builds so far though!