Don't Be Late - DBL - Fun reminder, timer app using FloatingWebView and AppleScript for speech and Custom Menubar icon [New Version v1.4.2]

Don't Be Late - DBL v1.4.2 March 30, 2020 - New and Improved - Now with easier navigation tabs, better colors, quick timers, and unlimited customizable timers! Select the chime and message for when the timer completes!

It speaks your custom message when the timer is complete!

Reminders are reusable on a daily bases and are set in the reminders.json file which are set for specific times during the day, to count down the many tasks required to complete a project. Ex. Like getting ready in the morning, or practicing a skill, or making dinner and having it ready at a specific time each night.

Timers are one time use and set for the future measured in hours:minutes:seconds from now. Great for setting a deadline or timing a kitchen event. With unlimited timers you can time your oven, and multiple stove top items -- at the same time!

Preset timers across the top make it easy to set 10,15,30 seconds or 1,3,5,10 minutes!

Download ver 1.4.2, requires BTT 3.346 or later
Uninstall previous version of DBL before installing a new version.

DontBeLate_v1.4.2.bttpresetzip (2.6 MB)

Don't Be Late - DBL v1.3 Now smaller, draggable, remembers your last position, with built in timers, new color scheme, URL options, built in chimes and much more!

Preset timer buttons across the top with 10, 15, 30 seconds and 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes.

Launch it when you need a timer or preset reminder!

Don't Be Late - DBL v1.0 This is not your standard BTT Preset, it is a simple app that displays a floating html window and speaks upcoming reminders to help you get to your next event on time. Inspired by trying to get the kids ready in the morning. It defaults with a series of helpful messages to get them going. It's more of a technology preview, or a demo if you will. It uses BTT floating html web view, google-fonts, AppleScript, text to speech, .json files and other web tech such as CSS and javascript. It's a simple app that will help prepare you and your loved ones for the upcoming robot overlords by being told what to do by a computer!

It places a BTT custom menubar icon of a little analog clock in your Mac menubar. Click to open and click again to close. You can of course create any number of BTT triggers to trigger the named trigger.

Customize your personal reminders by editing the reminders.json file in the PRESET DontBeLate folder location. Enter in your own times and messages.

Future versions will include support for 12/24 clock, mute, addition of chimes, and a really cool settings screen to make it look nice.

Tip: if you stick the floating web view to your desktop it will run in the background and speak your reminders without floating above all your working windows. However, with it floating above everything else it forces you to stop playing on your Mac and actually go do what you need to get done.

Based on macOS Control Center - MCC https: //community.folivora.ai/t/macos-control-center-mcc/13058 Thanks for sharing and showing us how this all works.

Let me know what you think!

2 Likes

Very cool!

thanks for mentioning mcc, it looks great, you can check latest version of mcc for date format settings, i prepare code for all date formats, also u may want to use local font for next versions, that can be broken without internet.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll look at your date format code. I turned off wifi and the fonts defaulted to the system mono font. Did you have a problem with the fonts not showing at all?

yea you added monospace as alternative, only problem font will change without connection, if font available for download you can add to preset folder, do you planing to add apple calendar support

DBL v1.3 supports adding a timer in the URL in the Show Floating Webview setting in BTT. Just format it like this.

BTT_PRESET_PATH/DBL/index.html?second=30&message=Check the oven

hour=
minute=
second=
message=
Be sure to add the ? before the first option and & between any other options

The example will launch DBL and start a timer for 30 seconds, which will chime and announce 'Check the oven' when then timer expires. Makes it easy to preset a frequently used timer.

You should remove the ? and everything after to not set a default timer.

DBL now has preset timers built in too. Just click the little colored numbers at the top to start the timer. Remember you can change the default reminders by editing the reminders.json file in the data folder.

Timers are one time use, you add one and then it expires. Reminders are permanent times that you can use everyday to help you to Don't Be Late!

This is my first project with CSS so I'm still working on the look and feel of the app.

Imported it, selected it...but nothing shows up. What can be the problem?

Hmmm.. make sure you have at least BTT ver 3.3. When DBL is installed and BTT is running there should be an icon of an analog clock in your menu bar. Just click on the icon and DBL should pop up above your other windows. Push the icon again and it will go away.

DBL Icon

Latest BTT is running. I imported an other one and that one works.
If i select your preset, finder shows up but it is empty

There is also an other one that does not work here !

Let me do a clean install to see if something was missed in the bundle.

Icon in dark mode is black square.

Thank you for the feedback. I don't have dark mode to test it. I don't see a way to provide an alternate dark mode icon, so I'll do some looking.

DBL v1.4.2 has a new feature where you can create unlimited timers with custom chimes and spoken messages! Scroll to the top of this thread for the latest details.

Select your chime
Enter your custom text message
Enter your timer duration in hh:mm:ss then click Set to start!

Hi,
So your preset has a working analog clock? where can I find it? and is it fine if I steal it for my preset (Future Preset (finally!!!))?
Thanks