custom snap areas disappear, requires BTT restart

Multiple times a day my custom snap areas stop working. They don't appear on screen and nothing happens when I snap to where I know they are. BTT just does the default 50:50 split. After restarting BTT the custom snap areas start working again, for a while. Eventually the same thing happens and I have to restart BTT again. I think this might coincide with the computer locking/sleeping and then being unlocked but I haven't been able to directly correlate that yet, it's just a hunch.

• Type of Mac: 2021 MacBook Pro 16", M1 Max
  • macOS version: Ventura, 13.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.001 (2214)
  • Type of Mac: 2019 MacBook Pro 16", Intel
  • macOS version: Ventura 13.2.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.047 (2265)

Please fix this, it is really annoying and clearly a bug, since it works without any modification right after the restart.

Steps to reproduce:

• create a config with a custom snap area config
  • Send you mac to sleep via system menu (Apple->Sleep)
  • Wake the Mac from dark screen (no need to wait)
  • Try to move a window (no custom hot corners available anymore) or check the snap area config (gone)
  • as a detail: I am activating my custom snap areas with the control key

As an update: still not fixed in the newest build and 100% reproducible.

Every time I wake up my iMac from sleep I need to restart BTT for the snap areas to show. It's been this way for many updates this year. This was a problem a few years ago but got fixed, but now it's back.

Same here.

Same here.
(BTT restart after standby is enabled)

does this happen after every sleep for you?
Unfortunately all seems to be ok here (macOS 14.1). Is there anything notable about your display setups?

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 13.53.08

After every sleep. "BTT restart after standby" is enabled, but that does not help. I have therefore created a shortcut to restart BTT. The display setting is normal.

MacBook Pro M2 Max (macOS 14.1). At the MacBook Pro 2019 16' Intel it was still running.

could you try whether 4.307 does help? (I made the reset after sleep a bit more agressive). In general the restart after sleep option should not be necessary.

Correction: It does not seem to occur immediately after sleep mode, at least not when sending the MacBook to sleep via Menu or closing the lid. Possibly there is a kind of deep sleep mode after a certain time, or other things are switched off. I haven't quite understood this yet with the M2.
In any case, it always occurs in the morning or after a long break.

I will check again carefully and give you feedback.

There does seem to be some issue with deep sleep. I'm analyzing some logs I received (Did open/close Macbooklid doesn't work? - #3 by Simon_Egerland)

Result: There seems to be really a problem with the deep sleep:

After a short sleep the problem does not occur and the option "restart after sleep" is obviously not necessary (but is executed if it is enabled).

After a longer sleep (>30 min) the problem occurs and BTT is not restarted despite activated option "restart after sleep"!

This also explains why it works immediately after a manual restart.

(Version 4.271)

would be great if you could try with >= 4.307

Also, if you can find any crash reports in the macOS console app in the "Crash Reports" section, that would also be interesting. It somehow looks like BTT is crashing on deep sleep wake - and then automatically restarts but without proper state restoration.

Version 4.307 is installed.
BTT crash reports do not exist in my case.

In the previous version:
BTT definitely does not restart or execute all triggers. I load an AppleScript on startup and write my own log file. This only happens after a short sleep.

I think I have found the issue. Need to work a bit to find the best solution, but I should have a version ready that finally fixes this tomorrow.

//edit: would be great if all affected users could try v4.308. I think it fixes the underlying deep sleep problem.

2 Likes

Results of the test (version: 4.308):

Custom snap areas: works (even without BTT restart)!
Restart: works even after a deep sleep!

@Andreas_Hegenberg: Thank you for the great job!

1 Like

I have 4.318 and unfortunately the problem is not gone for me (iMac M1 and Sonoma).