Can BTT trigger upon text selection like popclip?

I am a newbie, if I ask a stupid or inappropriate question, please accept my apology in advance.

Someone in other forum suggests popclip as a handy app for simple text manipulation, quick search in google/google scholar/translate, and some integration with other utility apps. Once a word is selected or double-clicked, a popup with a few items appears (options are customisable). I am quite sure that BTT V3 can do something similar but are not sure where to look in BTT help document? I will do my homework once I know the source of info (reading and trying to understand " Floating WebView/HTML Menu" now). Thank you again.

3 Likes

That is an interesting question @ngan. I use the software Keyboard Maestro. With it you can create macros that can do more than just edit a certain text. The possibilities are very diverse.
I call up these macros via a BTT gesture (here mouse):

2019_06_01_Support_

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if BTT does have a way to trigger an action when the text selection is changed?

no, but it is a good idea for a new trigger. It is complicated and requires many heuristics though because there is no system notification for when text selection has changed.

Does Popclip only work when selecting text with the mouse or also when selecting via keyboard? (I assume they listen to mouse drag events and then use some heuristics to determine whether text was selected. That's probably also why it doesn't work with all apps (Troubleshooting — PopClip))

It looks like they must be doing something with the mouse events. You have to set an optional keyboard shortcut to trigger it when selecting text with the keyboard.