BTT not active after long sleep, restart, then sais is hidden

Describe the bug
Macbook 15 Pro 2019 - After closing the lid over night and login in the next morning BBT is not active.
Have to manually start it, enable menu bar button, in this menu is sais the BBT is hidden (see screenshot). Why?

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 15 2019
  • macOS version: 10.15.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 1384

Same here. I'm on 3.200 and Catalina. It's a real pain in the arse.

Same here, new Catalina install, latest stable version of BTT. Does anyone have a fix?

+1 for this here. Really annoying.

+1 for this same issue, Macbook Pro 13 2018, High Sierra, BTT version 3.207. Have had this issue before and after a clean OS reinstall (for other reasons).

Just updated to BTT version 3.209, hoping there's a fix in there, or sometime soon.

+1 to this thread too. Updated to 3.209, the same problem continues. Running on Mojave.

I can't reproduce the issue yet, but I believe it might be a timing issue, thus happening only on some machines.
With 3.210 alpha I added a slider to the advanced BTT Touch Bar preferences:

it would be great if you'd try with a little higher values to see whether that helps. (Unfortunately I don't get a confirmation from macOS that the BTT Touch Bar is showing, thus BTT can just "guess".)

I'm experiencing the same problem. I've set the wait time to 10s but that doesn't seem to have resolved it. Any logs I can provide next time it happens to help troubleshoot?

Which version do you currently have installed? (I added some more changes in 3.213)

One more try: I added some more sleep related changes to 3.214 alpha, would be great if you'd check it out!

Same issue with macOS Catalina, after sleep.
Plus this morning I saw another issue: the app was totally crashed, I could not relaunch it. I tried to kill it through command-line, but it kept spanning new (crashing) processes, I had to reboot.

I updated to alpha channel, will see.

I'm running macOS Mojave and after the latest alpha and after setting the timeout at 10s it seems to have resolved it! Will update if it changes. Thanks!

Sleep issues for me persist on latest Catalina 10.15.2, running 3.214, on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) having tried every possible permutation of "wait before reinitializing". Extremely frustrating. Happy to help troubleshoot so I can keep my awesome new Touch Bar, but as it stands now I need to restart BTT several times a day and that's not going to work.

1 Like

you can also just assign the „toggle bettertouchtool touchbar“ action to a keyboard shortcut, then you can press that instead of restarting.

Unfortunately BTT can’t really know when the system has hidden the custom bar, thus it tries to do a „guess best“. Seems to work on ~90% of the systems, but it may never be 100% reliable.

Possibly also try to check/uncheck the „restart after sleep„ option in the general btt settings.

I have unchecked the option "Restart BTT after wake from sleep" and it always toggles this option back to on.

Same here. The option "Restart BTT after wake from sleep" is checked again every time I open the application again.

• It's running in the back ground (not in the dock) - when I bring it up again the option is checked again.

Ah there was indeed a bug that caused this checkbox to not work in some configurations. Should be fixed in 3.215 alpha! Would be interesting if with that version you see different behavior if restart is activate or not.

I'm on 3.219, and this now appears fixed on my machine. It seems like the touch bar wakes up a bit slower from sleep, but when it does BTT is there consistently. Thank you!

I'm using 3.220 with Catalina. But even with the Restart-Option and the longest waiting period (10 s) activated, BetterTouchTool (meaning the BTT TouchBar) is often inactive. It only appears after clicking "Your BTT Touch Bar is Hidden, Click to Show" (as previously mentioned). Is there anything else I can try?

I'm on alpha channel, just updated to 3.225(1402). This problem has only gotten worse with updates, now the touchbar becomes hidden even after a minute-long sleep.