BetterTouchTool Snap Areas stop working on wake from sleep

Describe the bug
Snap areas not available after waking from sleep

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Custom configured snap areas on Catalina desktop

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • macOS version: macOS Catalina 10.15.4
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.362

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):
The snap areas become available again after restarting BTT

Found this older post that seems to be the same behavior.

Same problem happening
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.6
BertterTouchTool version: 3.389

I'm experiencing the same issue since quite a while.
I have a 2017 MBP 15" with Touch Bar where I'm switching between clamshell-mode with an external (32"/4K) display and the builtin display without an external display connected.
When I plug in the external display, the MBP is usually sleeping.

I'm not sure if it happens everytime, but quite often when waking the MBP then, snap areas are not working (they are not displayed on the screen and a keyboard shortcut assigned to one of them also stops working).
I have to restart BTT to make them work again.

2017 MBP 15" Touch Bar
Big Sur 11.2.1
BTT 3.553

Sebastian

Same issue here. Happens consistently requiring a reset of BetterTouchTool

I still have this issue. It's not occuring every time I switch from the builtin display to the external one, but it happens quite regularly.
One workaround was to enable "Restart BTT after wake from sleep" in the Advanced/General settings section.
This introduced a slightly annoying delay after waking up until BTT shortcuts were available due to the restart of the application (but still something that I could live with).
I'm running macOS Ventura now and now I often saw BTT re-requesting accessibility access after waking up with the "restart on wake" option enabled, so I disabled it again.

Anyway, if no cause for the snap area issue can be found, how about a "re-initialize snap areas on wake up" option? This should solve the issue without requiring a complete app restart.

Sebastian

It does already reinitialize them on wake with recent versions (>= 3.930)

I'm currently running version 3.930 (2094) and I could swear the issue occured a a few hours ago.
I'll keep an eye on this an report back if/when it happens again with the current version.

Sebastian

definitely possible, but reinitializing doesn’t seem to help about this issue then. Unfortunately it still has never happened on my machines;-(

Ok, I just woke up my MBP with the external screen attached (no change from when I put it to sleep) and the snap areas were gone.
So it's definitely not fixed in v3.930.

Sebastian

I have also added more debug logs in recent versions, would be great if you could go to help -> export diagnostic debug information and send the result to me (andreas@folivora.ai). Maybe these logs allow me to see what’s going on.

Similar issue is happening to me, except I'm using better snap tool 1.9.8. I have to quit and relaunch the app constantly, as the snap areas stop working. not sure if it's only on wake, though. Feel like it happens sometimes while I'm actively using the computer.

Running 3x pro display xdr mounted vertically, with 9 custom snap zones on a mac studio. been an issue on ventura since the beta launched, and I believe since Monterey as well but I don't recall 100%

Never had an issue on the same Mac Studio with my old monitor setup, which was 2x pro display xdr horizontally, plus 2x LG ultrafine 4k (also horizontal).

Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I noticed the problem right around the time I upgraded monitors.

Happy to provide any data I can to help with troubleshooting. How do I provide this with the snap tool app?

Cheers @Andreas_Hegenberg

FYI: I'm running v3.936 now and since updating I have not noticed the issue yet.
Crossing my fingers....

Sebastian

Update: I got a brand new 16" MBP M1 Max a few weeks ago, migrating all my user-data using Migration assistant.
Unfortunately I'm still seeing the issue on the new machine as well (running BTT v3.952 at the moment).

Sebastian

Hello everybody, fwiw I still have the described bug almost every single time after wake.
I am still on Monterey and running BTT v3.998.

Giuseppe