After sleep (I think) snap areas no longer show when moving a window

Describe the bug
Frequently, when I go to move a window, the snap areas don't appear. I think, though not sure, that it happens after sleep.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: 2015 13" MBP
  • macOS version: 10.13.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.636 (945)

I have been noticing this problem recently too, restarting BTT seems to fix it, but it's annoying to have to do this frequently.

1 Like

Yeah, just a reset fixes it. But having to reset regularly, is super annoying. I just updated to Mojave.... guess we'll see if that changes anything.

This issue has resurfaced in the last several builds. Running BTT 3.180 (1359) on macOS 10.14.6. After waking from sleep, a restart of BTT is required to get snap areas working again.

The same thing happens... Snap Areas doesn't work after sleep. Beta version (3.180) doesn't help.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G87)
BTT version 3.178 (1356)

activate the „restart after sleep“ option for now on the general settings. (BTT is currently removing the necessity to restart after sleep in the current alphas, so currently there might be some bugs like this one if the option is disabled)

2 Likes

Hello! Same issue here! I have to restart BTT after every sleep. Will turn „restart after sleep“ ON for now..

BTT 3.178 (1356)
Macbook PRO 15" 2018
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Also having the same issue. Restarting app fixes it until the machine goes to sleep or rebooted and then the app needs to be restarted again. This started after the last update. Currently on version 3.178 (1356). Also for context, I'm running macOs Mojave version 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro (13-inch 2018).

I think it's fixed in the latest alpha! (3.181)

1 Like

Awesome, I love BTT and really appreciate the quick response and the suggestion to change the general settings to "restart after sleep". You guys rock!

It's still an issue in 3.182 (1361).

I had to re-enable "Restart BTT after wake from sleep." It appears to have disabled itself after the setting was moved to Basic.

It still seems to work fine here with 3.182 (without requiring a restart).
If the issue persists on your machine it would be great if you'd open the BTT preferences, then in the main menu select Help =>Export Diagnostic Debug Information and send the resulting folder to andreas@folivora.ai

Unfortunately, Snap Areas function doesn't work after sleep again. I sent you an email... Thx!

"Unfortunately" I haven't seen a snap area failure after sleep on the 3.186 version yet. I'll continue to look into it, however it may take a while to identify.

For now just check the "restart BTT after wake from sleep" option in the preferences, then BTT will use the old reset behavior:

Thanks for sending the debug info!

1 Like

I'll try this, thank you!

I'm also experiencing this issue, but I don't have the "Restart BTT after wake from sleep option", so I'm forced to manually restart it every time I wake my computer.

I'm currently using version 3.209

Looking at the release notes, it looks like 3.182 (August 20) may have removed this option.

"BTT does not need to restart after sleep anymore! - If you encounter any issues after sleep, please let me know."

the option should still be there in the advanced btt settings (however I recently fixed a bug with it, possible try the latest alpha)

@Andreas_Hegenberg Updated to Alpha version and found/enabled that setting. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

I've also been seeing this for the last few weeks. I'm trying the setting to restart after sleep now. I'll see how it goes.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
macOS Mojave 10.14.6

I've been having this issue on 3.952 on macOS Monterey 12.6.2 with both my Intel MacBookPro and my M2 MacBook Air.

On the Intel MacBookPro the problem was readily reproducible by sleeping, then waking. Oddly, on the M2 MacBook Air I've not been able to reproduce it by sleeping, but the snap regions have been missing regularly every time I open my laptop after an hour + of sleep, so it still seems sleep related somehow.

Setting "Restart BTT after wake from sleep" has eliminated the problem on the Intel Mac, and time will tell whether it also fixed the M2. Checking that box seems a bit like "sweeping the problem under the rug" though ;). The more people that check it, the less bug reports / chasing of the real root cause will happen. But I'm still selfishly glad I can check the box and make the problem go away.

Cheers!