Advanced Conditions window locks up macOS

Describe the bug
On recent BetterTouchTool versions activating Advanced Conditions window completely locks up my computer. The only thing I can do is do a full power off.

Screenshots

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro M1 2020 13"
  • macOS version: 13.5.1 Ventura
  • BetterTouchTool version: 4.204 (2424)

Additional information (e.g. crash logs, related issues, etc.):
BetterTouchToolDebug.zip (2.0 MB)

Just opening the window does this? (Just tried on two of my machines, but seems fine here)

Could be some weird permission error, possibly check whether any of the permissions in System Settings => Security & Privacy are missing for BTT.

Yes.

Settings -> Accessibility is enabled, Screen Recording is disabled for BetterTouchTool. Anything else I can check?

Mhh without the screen recording permission, BTT can't get window titles and the like - however that should of course not freeze the Mac. I'll try if I can reproduce that here.

1 Like

Unfortunately no luck in reproducing it yet.
I can't really think of anything that could lock up your computer like this, no app should be able to do that...

Maybe related to Stage Manager ? :-/

Yeah, I'm using Stage Manager. Dunno, gonna give it a try again soon.

By the way, I recommend to give the screen recording permission in any case. If it is not given, BTT will fall back to slower / less performant API's for various actions. BTT does not record your screen, but it uses some API's that are unfortunately also protected by this permission.

See folivora.ai - Great Tools for your Mac! for details

1 Like

I am also having this problem. I had just made a change where I checked a box while still trying to get this other issue working: Thumb Buttons 3 & 4 not working with 3F Swipe Left/Right on MacOS Ventrua. The box looked new and it was located in this area (but isn't in this old screenshot):

I can't take a new screenshot obviously because the only way I've gotten my computer to work is to delete BTT. I couldn't get the computer to work and it froze after every restart (and I had BTT opening on start which I also couldn't change until I deleted the whole app).

I love this tool and need to figure out how to get it working again.

MacBook Pro
14-inch, 2023
Chip Apple M2 Pro
macOS Ventura 13.5.2

1 Like

Yes. I can still reproduce the issue with latest stable release. I basically cannot use the window where you can inspect current variables etc. This seems like a critical issue.

sounds like @Anthony_Fontana is running into a different issue - if I understood correctly, you didn't press the "Advanced Conditions..." button?

Would be great if you could send a copy of the ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool folder to me (andreas@folivora.ai), then I can check whether it reproduces here. You can open that folder via Finder => Go => Go to Folder, make sue to include the ~

I just hit this one again. Pretty nasty.

You just need to cmd+tab away from this window and that's it. The only thing you can do is hard power off your laptop.

You mean hitting cmd+tab on that window freezes your computer?
(Just checked all variations again, but it continues to work fine here ;-( )

Yes. Can I grab any logs the next time it happens? Just export debug logs from the app on next boot?

yes that would be great!

This is so frustrating! I think it's something in combination with Stage Manager on Ventura. This time it locked up after trying to drag the BetterTouchTool window from Stage Manager left pane onto Safari's stage because I wanted to grab some data for an ATG. Complete lock-up.
I basically cannot do any inspection that's needed for Advanced Trigger Conditions etc.
BetterTouchToolDebug.zip (2.5 MB)

And again (with cmd+tab)!!
BetterTouchToolDebug.zip (2.5 MB)

really weird, there still haven’t been any other similar reports ;-(

Could it be some conflict with some other app? Could you tell what other apps have permission in System Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Accessibility?

I also tried locking the hovered element UI window to see if it works around it and it locked up too.

Can you please help me with building an ATC? I want my "2 Finger Swipe Right" that runs the "3F Swipe Left (Page Back)" action to not get triggered if a hovered element on Safari is a text field?

Nothing special in that list ;-(

A condition for that could look like this:

hovered_element_details CONTAINS "AXRole:  \"AXTextField\"" OR hovered_element_details CONTAINS "AXRole:  \"AXTextArea\""