Work in progress and alpha features

I, too, have finally had the chance to play around with the calendar widget!! Here's my feedback:

• I dislike the 2-line design because the fonts are way too small and push right up against the edges of the button shapes. I've deliberately avoided two-line buttons in my preset. Can there please be a single-line display option for the calendar widgets?
  • I don't want to display the date on my Current Day widgets since I already display the date elsewhere in my UI.
  • I need a (custom) icon display on the Current Day widgets to show which calendar app it will open!
  • For the full calendar widget - can there PLEASE be an option for these sorts of scrollable widgets to automatically fill the remaining available space left in the Touch Bar rather than needing to be manually sized? This would kill two birds with one stone and also eliminate the blinking issue I've brought up before.

Amazing work so far, can't wait for reminders and to finally remove icalBuddy once and for all! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There will definitely be a way to set the display format for events soon (similar to the weather and date widget), so you can make them one line if you want to (personally I much prefer the two lines here though :-)).

I will provide some Apple Script APIs to access the next events / reminders, so you can also build a completely custom current day widget, but I'll also be adding some more options to the current day widget.

I think I won't change the user-defined calendar-color. If real black is not wanted, just set a some dark gray for your calendar :slight_smile:

Having an auto-fill feature is a great point, I wanted to add that for a long time, but only recently found out a good way to implement this.

It won't be possible to style the single elements used for the calendar widget, so let's find some good defaults and important configuration points.

3 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: found a bug just now in the Current Day widget when there are no upcoming events, you can see it still takes up space:

1 Like

Another issue on the calendar is the button add event which correctly opens a pop-up but where nothing happens when you click on the button save.

Are you on 10.14? (Sorry haven't added the necessary checks to exclude 10.13, which doesn't contain the event modification APIs )

Yes I am.

By looking at console, I have the following messages:
-[EKEventStore saveEvent:span:error:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x60000212d040

@Andreas_Hegenberg I have a suggestion to improve the mouse area behavior. If you implement a short (<1s) delay before the mouse support is activated, you'd then have a split-second to grab or click on whatever is inside that area before the Touch Bar mouse activates. I think this will feel much more natural.

I tried that, but it makes the mouse mode feel slow & laggy. I think have a better solution though, will implement it soon :wink:

@oliviermattelaer that is very weird, according to the documentation this method should be available on 10.14. I'll look into it later today on my 10.14 machine!

1 Like

So how does one use this? Paste the widget URL in the action? I tried it, but nothing happens. Work in progress and alpha features

Loving mouse support so far! What do you think of the possibility of having horizontal scrolling to "scroll" touch bar groups? I know it is possible with a click-drag/3-finger-drag but is sometimes hard to keep the mouse in the trigger region (may not be an issue later with your improvements). Or maybe you can nullify vertical mouse movement during a click-drag to prevent the mouse from leaving the region.

Another suggestion for mouse support: if you're clicking and dragging, then the mouse should continue tracking on the Touch Bar until I release the click, even if I move the mouse outside of the active area on the bottom of the screen.

1 Like

Found another spacing bug with the calendar widget when there are no events:

I'll move this post here.

I've been playing with the new Calendar widget and Current Day Widget. Very nice work! Im tempting to replicate what I have done in AppleScript using your native widget. So far I have only a few stumbling blocks.

1. Font size for TWO lines is not displayed and font size option isn't working.

2. length of fields seem to be truncated too much (Specifically the Location fields in my case).

3. The ability to omit (Not display) a certain characters that may be included in a subscribed calendar. For me, many of the subscribed calendars include a graphic character (Baseball, Football, Smily Face. etc.).

4. Looks like the Current Day Widget only works for the Current Day Events (Which obviously makes sense). Can you also provide an option or widget for NEXT Event Widget. Many of my calendars have events daily while some have events every few days and I would like the NEXT event to be displayed for that specific calendar (The "Only calendars with these names" field is specified for each of my calendar widgets.

5. Button Icon does NOT display when "No More Events" is shown. I select "Keep Next Event Area Visible If No event is visible."

Attached image(s) is my current Sports Schedule Display, and the second is trying to duplicate what I have done using the Native Widget.

My Own Code:

Native Widget:

@Andreas_Hegenberg saw that you added some of the suggested improvements to the calendar widget! However, I can't seem to edit the text in the formatting text field, and the calendar icon I've set doesn't show up.

Once those bugs are fixed I think this is ready to go out :smiley:

I was able to edit the text field this time! It's not clear that what's there is placeholder text... I'd been trying to actually edit it.

The icon I set showed up once I had set my own text for the calendar widget. But the font remains small even if it's only one line:

I think it's ready to go out now though, so I'm going to push out a new GC release :slight_smile:

Just a note: the updated calendar widget should be available sometime late tomorrow or on Friday. (Will include reminder support and various improvements)

1 Like

I’ve noticed that when updating to an alpha version, the update description no longer includes a changelog. Is that available somewhere else?

2 Likes

Not every alpha includes a changelog. However, it would be great if they did, because I often wonder what's in each new alpha version. Checking here is okay, but having release notes would be great.

1 Like

Yeah I should definitely add more change logs or post everything here - most of the time the alphas only fix stuff or improve performance and don't add anything visible to the user though.

1 Like

Man it's just too hot to do real work here in Germany :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face:(AC is not very common here yet ;-().
Made some progress today, but not as much as I wanted. Updated calendar widget not today, but maybe tomorrow...

1 Like