Work in progress and alpha features

"Show in SideCar" checkbox in conditional group / app settings anybody?

afaik the "Touch Bar" that shows up on sidecar cannot be altered in any way. I sure hope they don't bring that system over to the primary Touch Bar.

Also, @Andreas_Hegenberg myself and others are still experiencing the Touch Bar hiding itself after sleep. Any luck fixing this issue?

I have gotten a few reports that the hide after sleep oder seems to be fixed in the latest alpha - would be great if you’d check!

So far so good - if it happens again, I'll report here!

On an unrelated note: One bug that was reported in the GC-BTT support thread is the date widget not updating its width as the date and time naturally change size. This leads to frequent clipping of the date and time. Any chance you can fix this bug?

EDIT: Example:

still have hidden touchbar after sleep - happened once yesterday

Running 3.214 (1391) Alpha on Catalina 10.15.2 on a 16" MacBook Pro & 2019 15" MacBook Pro, and every time I wake from sleep, the BTT Touch Bar is gone and the stock one is back. I just restart BTT, but it is very annoying...

Not sure if there are logs that I can grab to be of more help, but it doesn't seem to be isolated to the new 16".

Hi there, I got a display issue regarding the latest Alpha version (3.214).

From the previous screenshots, when I first lunch BTT and the touchbar is enabled, the "hide ESC " option is missing.
When I disable the touch bar and relaunch BTT then check the enable touchbar, the option came back. (Need to relaunch to real enable the touchbar function, although the enable box was checked)
But after I relaunched the BTT again, the "hide ESC" option was missing again.
And I also have the BTT gone after waking from sleep issue.
I am using the 16" macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.2.
Cheers

the 16“ macbook has a physical esc key, thus BTT hides that option and doesn’t show the esc key on this machine.

Any chance you could expose this as a BTT variable so I can make adjustments for the 16" mbp? Or is there already such a variable?

Good idea, I'll expose it with 3.215! It will be called BTTTouchBarHasPhysicalESCKey

1 Like

Is there a reason that recent alpha-channel releases have not listed a changelog in the updater? I no longer know what changes to look for with each release.

I'm posting significant changes here from time to time. Small bugfixes etc. are not mentioned during alpha stages though.

The current alphas add a few bluetooth predefined actions:

• Connect Bluetooth Device
  • Disconnect Bluetooth Device
  • Toggle Bluetooth Device Connection
  • Enable Bluetooth
  • Disable Bluetooth
  • Toggle Bluetooth Enabled/Disabled

These allow to connect to arbitrary bluetooth devices including the Airpods.

I also added a dynamic variable that let's you know about the current connection state:
It starts with BluetoothConnectionState- and then takes either the bluetooth address (xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx) or the name of the device (wildcards * are allowed)

tell application "BetterTouchTool"
	get_number_variable "BluetoothConnectionState-*Pods*"
end tell

Also the floating HTML / Webview has been updated to use Apple's modern WKWebView - if everything went well this should have no effect on existing setups but it required significant changes, let's see.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the update!

@Andreas_Hegenberg something about this latest alpha has been causing all my modifier keys to lag significantly system-wide. Is there a reason this would be happening?

Mh I don’t think there was any change to modifier keys or the Touch Bar handling. (I currently also have GoldenChaos enabled and don’t see any delays). Have you already tried to restart your machine?

Yes, and I have isolated the issue to BTT! Whenever I try to use any modifier keys, BTT hangs and energy usage spikes, sometimes going as high as 100:

Is there a way I can provide information to help you diagnose the issue?

You can go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Information, and send the result to andreas@folivora.ai, it will give me your exact BTT setup then I should be able to reproduce! Possibly some scripts that run when specific widgets become visible?

Sent!

I don't think it's related to any widgets, because I haven't changed GC at all between betas. Also, it happens when holding down shift, which is not a modifier key GC uses for anything.

Thanks! By the way, did you already check whether it's really happening only with the latest alphas (i.E. downgrade to one of the previous releases via https://folivora.ai/releases )?

I'm able to reproduce the issue with your data. I believe somehow your sql lite database has been corrupted - I'll do a more thorough analysis on this tomorrow. For now I think deleting the btt_data_store.version_xxx files from ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool and reimporting your preset should fix it.

1 Like