Work in progress and alpha features

Yes, I'll add calendar selection soon!

Nice work on the calendar widgets. For the Current Day Widget is it possible to add a toggle for the current day, leaving just the next event visible? I've already got the date shown in my setup and the layout of the current day widget feels a bit unbalanced. It appears to not respect text justification (although the next event side of the widget does).

@Andreas_Hegenberg

Mouse TouchBar:
It's great but a bit finicky to use as normal right now, as I always end up launching apps.

Maybe you should hide / stick the cursor to the bottom as if it was magnetic, so that you'd need to move up more than usual before it'll come out from the bottom.

A good example is the native TouchBar customisation. It'll hold the cursor down there untill you move up a little bit more.

1 Like

3.141 now allows to specify calendar names!

@yuuiko yeah that would be better (but hard to integrate for non-apple apps). However I plan to add something similar. In general it works really well for me though if I enable the "block bottom clicks" option. It will block all clicks that could launch apps as long as the yellow dot is visible.

Problem here is that I think currently the yellow dot disappears a bit too easily.

How does it know when to make the dot appear? its it a hitbox at the bottom of the screen?

Also, scroll to, well scroll would be good :wink: (currently dragging)

Basically just the bottom 2 pixels of the screen currently :wink: I could allow users to increase that.
Scrolling would be nice, but I'll need to look into that because the Touch Bar only supports click, move & drag, so I'll have to translate the events somehow.

Btw. this is really cool: Hide/show automatically Dock widget in Touch Bar and could also be nice for all kind of other stuff.

2 Likes

Try bottom 14px (the height of the dots)

that is very cool!

Problem is, not all people have their Dock on the bottom or visible at all. Maybe I can make the area dependent on the dock position.

It wouldn't make sense to control the touchbar from the side...

I think @yuuiko is correct here - a larger buffer zone for the mouse support specifically on the bottom of the screen would be most appropriate. We can try 14px and fine tune it in this thread based on our own usage, at least for the default value. I strongly agree that the current 2px implementation is too short.

I don’t think a larger activation area positioned specifically on the bottom of the screen would get in the way of other apps, either. It makes sense to me because the touch bar’s position cannot be changed. That’s why you don’t want the activation area to move with the dock. It really has nothing to do with the dock at all, and everything to do with the ergonomics of the Touch Bar.

Also saw that you added mouse in/out triggers, which I am very keen on making settings for.

It gets in the way when dragging windows from the bottom, but on the other hand the 2px threshold also does this.

In the current alpha BTT increases the "drag away" threshold after slightly moving the cursor, but I'll definitely add a bigger or configurable area soon.

2 Likes

Just played with the calendar widget. Here's some feedback:

• The UI is a bit text-based and cramped... Settings would probably be good or further refinements, especially icons.
  • Fully black coloured calendars don't display well. Maybe add a small grey tint. a REALLY slight one. Apple does this in their calendar app when dark mode is on.
  • You should stick the "today view" control panel to the left like the month view control panel
  • A pretty big ask, but would be good if each little section was customisable. How this would work: When you add the calendar widget, it appears like a group. Inside the group are all the 'template elements' that we can edit, such as the prev month, next month, month display, all the weekday and weekend cells etc. To make this simpler for basic users you could maybe do this in an advanced calendar widget!

I, too, have finally had the chance to play around with the calendar widget!! Here's my feedback:

• I dislike the 2-line design because the fonts are way too small and push right up against the edges of the button shapes. I've deliberately avoided two-line buttons in my preset. Can there please be a single-line display option for the calendar widgets?
  • I don't want to display the date on my Current Day widgets since I already display the date elsewhere in my UI.
  • I need a (custom) icon display on the Current Day widgets to show which calendar app it will open!
  • For the full calendar widget - can there PLEASE be an option for these sorts of scrollable widgets to automatically fill the remaining available space left in the Touch Bar rather than needing to be manually sized? This would kill two birds with one stone and also eliminate the blinking issue I've brought up before.

Amazing work so far, can't wait for reminders and to finally remove icalBuddy once and for all! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There will definitely be a way to set the display format for events soon (similar to the weather and date widget), so you can make them one line if you want to (personally I much prefer the two lines here though :-)).

I will provide some Apple Script APIs to access the next events / reminders, so you can also build a completely custom current day widget, but I'll also be adding some more options to the current day widget.

I think I won't change the user-defined calendar-color. If real black is not wanted, just set a some dark gray for your calendar :slight_smile:

Having an auto-fill feature is a great point, I wanted to add that for a long time, but only recently found out a good way to implement this.

It won't be possible to style the single elements used for the calendar widget, so let's find some good defaults and important configuration points.

3 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: found a bug just now in the Current Day widget when there are no upcoming events, you can see it still takes up space:

1 Like

Another issue on the calendar is the button add event which correctly opens a pop-up but where nothing happens when you click on the button save.

Are you on 10.14? (Sorry haven't added the necessary checks to exclude 10.13, which doesn't contain the event modification APIs )

Yes I am.

By looking at console, I have the following messages:
-[EKEventStore saveEvent:span:error:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x60000212d040

@Andreas_Hegenberg I have a suggestion to improve the mouse area behavior. If you implement a short (<1s) delay before the mouse support is activated, you'd then have a split-second to grab or click on whatever is inside that area before the Touch Bar mouse activates. I think this will feel much more natural.

I tried that, but it makes the mouse mode feel slow & laggy. I think have a better solution though, will implement it soon :wink:

@oliviermattelaer that is very weird, according to the documentation this method should be available on 10.14. I'll look into it later today on my 10.14 machine!

1 Like