Windows management questions (BetterSnapTool or BTT)

Hey community!

I have been using BetterSnapTool for years now and I really enjoy it (I also used BTT years ago). However, I'm trying to tune my workflow after some hardware upgrades, and seems like I miss or can't find some "basic" functions that I was easily able to use in Moom.

1. How can I maximize the window only vertically? I was looking for actions like "move to top" and resize but couldn't find any.

2. The action "Restore old size and position" in 90% of cases does not work, especially restoring the position. I can't figure out the required conditions for it to work as expected, however, compared to a similar Moom's feature, it's simply not working. Restoring via Moom works 90% of the time.

3. Is it possible (maybe by manual editing of some files) to rename (add a label) for saved window layouts? Anything better than numbers 1-4? :slight_smile:

If not in BST, maybe BTT can deal with some of these issues?

Best regards,
Bart

1.) In BTT you can use the "Custom Move/Resize" action like this to maximize only vertically:

2.) The restore action only works if the window was last resized by BTT/BST, if that's not the case it will do nothing. Is this maybe the issue?

3.) In BTT the "Save / Restore Window Layout" action allows you to enter a name:

Thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like it's a time to look for my old license for BTT :wink:

2.) The restore action only works if the window was last resized by BTT/BST, if that's not the case it will do nothing. Is this maybe the issue?

I use Snap Areas to move and resize the window. Then I click restore and the size is reverted, but then the window is moved in the wrong direction. Suppose I used the bottom left corner for snaping from the middle of my screen. When restored, the window is moved to the left and it's mostly out of the screen. I think it's a bug.