Window snapping: Broken: Restore old window size if window is dragged away again

Describe the bug
I've set up a desktop with 4 windows snapped, one to each corner. If I drag a window away from the corner shortly after it has been snapped, it will return to its previous size. But if I do some work elsewhere, say in another desktop, for a while and return back to the 4-quarters desktop, when I drag a window away from the corner it frequently keeps its 1/4 size. Very frustrating.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
The dragging to snap and dragging away is all done via the trackpad.

Screenshots
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem. (You can just paste or drag them here)

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • macOS version: 10.14.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 2.660

Additional information (e.g. StackTraces, related issues, screenshots, workarounds, etc.):

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have the latest version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

Due to the lack of interest in this problem, I'm wondering whether it's occurring only to me (and my son, who has been able to reproduce it). Or is it that nobody else uses snap to corners?

Is there someone who frequently uses snap to corners and has it work on Mojave?

Thanks!

According to my statistics it's one of the most used features in BTT :slight_smile:
However personally Ihaven't noticed problems with this. BTT doesn't keep the old sizes indefinitely though, e.g if you sleep your Mac, restart BTT or it if you manually change the dimensions it gets rid of the saved sizes.

Thanks for the information, Andreas, That's good to know.

I can attest, though, that this problem happens for me without the Mac sleeping, restarting BTT, or manually changing dimensions. At first I thought that maybe it was triggered by the screen saver coming on, but that's not it either.

I've reproduced it a couple more times since I began writing this response. There's definitely a bug there, and I'm determined to find it. I might have to start recording my activity so I can find out what I'm doing to make it forget its saved sizes.

Is there a debug mode I can turn on and hopefully catch when the size settings are erased?

Thanks!

Phil

I will add a debug log for that with the next version, currently this is not recorded unfortunately.

1 Like

Hello Andreas,

I was happy to see your new version is available, but sorry to report that my issue with restoring old window size remains.

Were you able to add a debug log in this latest version? If so, please let me know how I can enable the logging and view it in Console.

Thanks very much,

Phil

I have a probably related problem: when I drag a snapped window, it changes to the old size no matter what I do. I often drag my windows around and I want them to stay the same size. Used to drag a window to a hot spot to make it into a predefined size, and then drag it where I want it on the screen. It worked well on my old mac, on the new one it seems to just ignore the "restore old window size" setting.

I've tried various combinations of toggling the setting and restarting the app, nothing helped.

Is there any way I can help with debug?

Are you sure you are not accidentally running a second window snapping tool (e.g. BetterSnapTool?)
There hasn't been a change here and the setting is working fine on all my machines.

The issue @pooch described is pretty different (however I won't get to further look into that until the new BTT UI is finished)

Uuuhhh, you were right - one of the utilities I run added a snapping option and I didn't notice. Thank you and sorry for the trouble :slight_smile:

1 Like