Window resizing and multiple monitors, how does BTT handle this?

Greetings!

I'm new to BTT with a touchbar mac. I'm wanting to replace my other window management apps with BTT. But I often am using multiple monitors in different environments.

I've previously been using divvy, which, if I repeat a keystroke to resize a window, it will move the window to the next screen with the same resizing percentages.

Is this something that is possible with BTT? Right now, I'm not seeing how to achieve that functionality with.

Have you tried Move Window to the next monitor action? In my case, I've set it up to work on FN + arrow UP / arrow DOWN, and attached additional action to just go into fullscreen mode ( i mean, fill the remaining space, not go into the native fullscreen mode) in my setup. But you could attach any other additional action and resize the window as much as you want, I suppose...

Here's a JSON of my Trigger:

{
  "BTTGestureNotes" : "Move to next monitor",
  "BTTTriggerClass" : "BTTTriggerTypeKeyboardShortcut",
  "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 47,
  "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Move Window to Next Monitor",
  "BTTAdditionalConfiguration" : "8388608",
  "BTTEnabled2" : 1,
  "BTTUUID" : "0626528B-A6DB-4AA5-A35C-6DBB8AFA65AA",
  "BTTEnabled" : 1,
  "BTTShortcutKeyCode" : 116,
  "BTTShortcutModifierKeys" : 8388608,
  "BTTOrder" : 26,
  "BTTAdditionalActions" : [
    {
      "BTTTriggerType" : -1,
      "BTTPredefinedActionType" : 129,
      "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Delay Next Action",
      "BTTDelayNextActionBy" : "0.108415",
      "BTTUUID" : "BB5939D5-9E1E-43E8-B8A3-F2676F5AA12F",
      "BTTShortcutKeyCode" : -1,
      "BTTShortcutModifierKeys" : -1,
      "BTTOrder" : 0,
      "BTTIconData" : "",
      "BTTAlternateIconData" : ""
    },
    {
      "BTTTriggerType" : -1,
      "BTTPredefinedActionType" : -1,
      "BTTPredefinedActionName" : "No Action",
      "BTTShortcutToSend" : "58,55,3",
      "BTTUUID" : "73A6D6B8-06A3-4C8A-A6CA-BD89DCEEE7F9",
      "BTTShortcutKeyCode" : -1,
      "BTTShortcutModifierKeys" : -1,
      "BTTOrder" : 1,
    }
  ],
}```

The custom move/resize action is a bit complicated to set up but I think it can do something like this.

For example this setup would move&resize a window to the top left of the monitor left from the monitor the window is on. Repeating the shortcut will circle move the window between monitors.

Thanks for the reply. I'll experiment with this tomorrow when I can get to an external display. But, if I'm understanding what you've shared. This would start by moving the window to the left display with the set positioning? Or, would this start with the monitor that the window was currently on?

No idea from the backend side of things, but, if there was a way to cycle, starting with the current, through the screen arrangement according to system display preferences, that would be rad. Divvy handles this rather simplistically:

I suppose I can just use BTT to call a Divvy global shortcut, but I'd love to put all my eggs into the BTT basket :smiley:

I was looking to do this exact same thing! I'm trying out BTT now that I'm changing from a 2018 Intel mac to a 2023 M2 Mac. Divvy, which I've used for a long time was great, but it hasn't been updated in a long time, so I was looking for a new tool, so I didn't need Rosetta to run Divvy, and BTT looked to be a great replacement for Divvy while offering a lot of other interesting benefits. Before i found this post I started trying exactly what Andreas was suggesting with the custom move / resize action. Although you could use pre built actions to do the same thing without the custom action. Since I can't get the resize to happen without a move at this point, I think I'm going to change my workflow ever so slightly and try just using a different key combo for moving between screens. I'll try it out and see how it goes, but I really appreciate you asking this question, because I was wondering the same thing and trying to figure it out!

I've just made all the shortcuts I used to use with Divvy in Better Touch Tool! The one thing I've done differently is made a separate key sequence just to resize the window to 50%, put in in the center of the next monitor. This seemed to be the easiest way to get close to replacement functionality. Now when I want to move a Window I hit ctrl-option-cmd-, and it moves it around, and then I use the shortcut to put the window where I want it, whether that's Maximized, snapped to a corner or edge, etc. It might take a little getting used to, but this was the approach I took based on what I could learn about BTT and it's capabilities in a short period of time.