Window resize with two fingers on trackpad

Is there a way to mimic the functionality of Flexiglass (now defunct) where the same hotkey combination starts the move/resize mode, but 1 vs 2 fingers dragging changes the functionality?

So, for instance Cmd+shift is held and 1 finger dragging moves the window and 2 fingers dragging resizes.

Thanks!

1 Like

Another benefit of allowing two fingers could be to allow more ergonomic shortcut (currently to avoid false positives you'd need to choose something more complicated that you're unlikely to hit with a single finger on a touchpad)

How about cmd moves and option resizes the window (or any modifier)? That works.

You want a shortcut that does something with two fingers on the trackpad and without something else? That is possible with the Advanced Conditions. To avoid false positives, you can exactly define the area where the fingers have to be.

I'm currently using

• fn (+touchpad move) to move windows
  • fn (+touchpad move) to resize windows

..because I now I'll never be holding these modifiers to execute some "regular" command, so there is no risk of me holding the modifiers, moving the mouse with a single finger, and triggering window move/resize

With the request implemented you could simplify it in 2 ways:

1. use only fn (as that's still an uncomon modifier) and then differentiate between move/resize via the number of fingers
  2. use a more common modifier, e.g., and two fingers (I regularly use one finger touchpad with , but not two) to move (and then do some other key combo for resize)

Are you saying that I can already achieve that now with some Advanced Conditions?

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. My English is too bad. :sweat_smile:

But when it comes to moving and resizing a window, AD are not necessary. That's what I do:

Move the window - fn pressed - mouse over the window - one finger moves on the trackpad.

Resize the window - shift pressed - mouse over the window - one finger moves on the trackpad.

Hopefully I don't understand you completely wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

but can you do it with two fingers, but not one?

That's too error-prone, what if you hold Shift to select text and move your mouse? Then you trigger window resize instead!

We have a different understanding of what a "shortcut" is.

Anyway, no, you can't do it with two fingers. I assume you are using a trackpad. Your problem seems to be that you can only press and hold certain modifiers while your finger is moving on the trackpad, because otherwise there are problems with other actions.

If that's the case, you can activate the move or resize actions differently, with a trigger.

Example: double tap shift, activates the move "mode". Then you move the window with one finger. double tap shift again ends this "mode".

Does this help?

thanks for trying to help, but holding/releasing a key is a more intuitive and (for shorter modes like move/resize, especially when used in succession like resize for different window sides) more ergonomic "modal" shortcut

That's true. Have a look here