Very often 100%+ CPU usage

No misbehavior observed except 100%+ cpu usage. It was fixed after often several restarts.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: Macbook Pro 15 (17 mid)
  • macOS version: Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.206

Process sample is attached

Sample of BetterTouchTool.zip (103.5 KB)

Update: I installed 3.368 and the problem persists. There was one time that airportd took 100%+ cpu and was solved when I shut down BTT.

My config only deals with keyboard shortcut and touchpad gesture.

I have the same problem on
macOs 10.14.6
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
BetterTouchTool version: 3.373(1597)
Constant CPU Load of over 100fi for no apparent reaso

Problem solved. Although I never used dropbox sync, I solved it by checking and unchecking it immediately. It is indeed super experimental.

It didn't help on my case. I had it on.
Turned it off. no change.

Only after clicked on "Reset Dropbox data" it started dropbox, asks to connect the app to the dropbox and then dropbox said it cannot find the app!
No it seems to be ok.

Update: I'm still having the problem: every time the laptop wakes from sleep both BTT and Dropbox go to over 100% ... for several minutes. Then at some point it goes back to normal

Although you disabled Dropbox sync in BTT?

yes... as if it ignores it... even with version 3.388
I removed preferences file, and also went to my dropbox account and removed the BTT app there.

It seems to be better now. At least after restarting BTT (with no prefs file) it stays low on CPU. It may have been the preferences file

It has reappeared now. It seems to be repeatedly invoking some dropbox sync feature to no avail.

I unchecked menu bar icon & touchbar support & remote support and saw an immediate drop of cpu usage. Not sure which caused it yet.

Are you using Vanilla to hide icon?

It reappeared over here too... interestingly enough. It seems to be no problem on my older MacPro (which runs the same OS (10.14.6) as my macbook pro) but I haven't tested thoroughly yet.

I'll try to turn off remote support etc and see what happens

I unchecked touch bar support and I had remote support unchecked already... doesn't make any difference over here. Whenever BTT starts it sends dropbox to a "syncing hunt" with over 200% CPU usage (and BTT with over 100% CPU usage).

@Andreas_Hegenberg I understand that all this "blind" testing may not be very helpful for you so if you need me to test something specific let me know. For now, I will do a clean install and reimport my actions and triggers.

My sample was attached with this thread. Please check it

Unistalling and reinstalling seems to work fine here. For two days in a row !!! :slight_smile:

I tried it before but didn't work for me. Now I have restored back to 2.428, said to be the stable version. So far so good.

I restarted the NVRAM and the SMC. Worked well for me, not sure if it will for everyone.

I‘m experiencing this issue on an M1 Mac Mini running macOS Monterey 12.5.1 (i‘m positive this has been going on for some time now, but only now bothered to check activity monitor instead of simply restarting the mac).
Never used the Dropbox syncing feature and turning it on and off, or even uninstalling and reinstalling BTT like others suggested here did not do the trick for me.

Any other ideas of what i could try?

The most typical other thing that can cause this is "recursive triggers". For example you might have defined a keyboard shortcut "cmd+e" and assigned actions that also trigger "cmd+e". This will cause an endless loop and go to 100% CPU.

If you want to create such triggers check the "prevent recursive triggers" checkbox on the triggering shortcut.