Using a group icon as a trigger

I am creating an application-specific configuration which will have a 'primary' set of buttons and some of these buttons I want to fire a keyboard shortcut and open a group.

It's fairly straightforward to have the two actions on a standard button, but then the group takes up a button on its own, as well.

I noticed that the group has a setting to "Additionally execute a named trigger on key up" which I figured would let me re-purpose the group button to fire the keyboard shortcut as well. Except I cannot get this to work. Is this how it is supposed to be used?

I had a lot of difficulty getting that named trigger setting to stick. Changing the value does not surface a Save button, and Cmd-S didn't seem to make it stick either. I did make it stick by switching to the appearance tab and making a change there which provided a Save button.

This is my named trigger.

[
{
"BTTTriggerType" : 643,
"BTTTriggerTypeDescription" : "Named Trigger: Press L for Local Adjustments",
"BTTTriggerClass" : "BTTTriggerTypeOtherTriggers",
"BTTPredefinedActionType" : 128,
"BTTPredefinedActionName" : "Send Shortcut to Specific App",
"BTTLayoutIndependentActionChar" : "/Applications/DXOPhotoLab6.app",
"BTTAutoAdaptActionToKeyboardLayout" : true,
"BTTShortcutApp" : "/Applications/DXOPhotoLab6.app",
"BTTShortcutAppUnderCursor" : "com.dxo.PhotoLab6",
"BTTShortcutToSend" : "37",
"BTTTriggerName" : "Press L for Local Adjustments",
"BTTEnabled2" : 1,
"BTTAlternateModifierKeys" : 0,
"BTTRepeatDelay" : 0,
"BTTUUID" : "3FB38B34-0C4F-43F7-B5DC-0D8B4DD1A99B",
"BTTNotesInsteadOfDescription" : 0,
"BTTEnabled" : 1,
"BTTModifierMode" : 0,
"BTTOrder" : 0,
"BTTDisplayOrder" : 0
}
]

Not sure if I'm understanding what you are trying to accomplish.
You are trying to trigger a group of which you don't want the button to be shown?
Deactivate the group (rightclick on group / deactivate) it is still operational when triggered directly via another button.
Another solution is to give the group a modifier so it is only visible when e.g. shift is pressed. (config / Modifier based visibility)

1 Like

Ah, that is indeed what I'm after. One button will send a keypress and open the group. I didn't realise a disabled group could still be opened programatically.

That has solved my problem, thanks.

That's an interesting approach. I hadn't thought to seek out alternatives, but the way I accomplished something similar was by moving the group to a fixed position "offscreen" (i.e. by assigning it to a row/column that is intentionally out of range).

That's got me wondering if they actually behave the same way. I feel like your way is cleaner and less hacky lol.

I'll have to experiment and find out. :slight_smile: