User Agent does not work (Question to Community)

Dear Community,

as in Safari, Chrome, Firefox I am able to change my User Agent to any other profile of mobile/ system like Linux, browser. This works within each browser fine, yet I can't get it to start in BTT. Maybe you might help?
I am using floating menu to open up a page. This page should receive the new user agent I set up.

1. "Custom Floating Menus & Desktop Widgets" I go to "Web Item: Webview" (column) -> Floating Menu Configuration on the right window menu "Web View Config" and set up the User Agent via copy and paste.

Additionally I found User Agent as well in the shortcuts for my keyboard, where I trigger the floating menus.

1. "Keyboard" -> "Execute JavaScript in Web View Menu Item" -> on the right window menu: "User Agent"

On both side I paste the same user agent, I restart my computer, but that doesn't work.

Hope to find an idea here in the community.

Best :slight_smile: Johannes

How did you check your user agent? I'd recommend loading something like https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent/ in the webview. Maybe it's not the user agent that's not working? (I'm using custom user agents in various webviews)

However once a website is loaded and the floating webview is cached, you might need to restart BTT to get it to update the user agent

Knowing my system, browser etc. I randomly copy and paste from a list of typical user agents available in the web.
As I wrote, I also re-start my system to make this working, but it doesn't.

I agree, that it could be sth else then the user agent, but I do not know what it could be. My comparison is:

1. changing user agent within Safari = works as expected.
  2. changing user agent as I described inside of BTT = does not work.

first try the url I posted to confirm or rule out that it’s the user agent. Websites also use other features of the environment to detect & change their behavior. A webview might behave slightly different