(un)minimize a specific window.

I would like to (un)minimize a specific window. So, a shortcut:

• If window "name" is minimized, then show it.
  • If window "name" is not minimized, then minimize it.

There is no such action. Is there any other way to do this?

Edit: kind of like this, but it doesn't work

Edit2: Ok, this is how it works :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you need minimize or would hide also work for you?

Hide/show could be achieved with the "Show/Hide Specific Application" action:

I could add an option to minimize instead of hide to this action.

I'm not sitting at my computer right now. I assume this action shows/hides all windows of an app. But I only want to do this with one window. The other windows of this app should not be affected.

Correct, for hiding/showing only all windows of an app work. However it should be easy to add a "minimize instead of hide" option. I'll check!

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

If you want to add an action that hides an app instead of minimizing it, great.

But if I may make a request, I need something else. I need the opposite of this action.

So an action that hides or minimizes only a specific window of an app (not all). I don't care what, the main thing is that the window is out of the way.

If this is not possible, an option for "Activate Specific Window" that only activates this window, not all others of the same app, would be helpful.

And if that doesn't work either, I can live with my If/Else Macro, which actually works well. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think we are talking about the same thing. The "Show/Hide Specific Application" can already be limited to specific windows (and it can be made to only show or only hide). However a general issue with macOS "un-hide" is that it will bring to front all windows of the app. When using minimize instead of hide, it's possible to bring specific windows to front.

Ah, I hadn't noticed these additional options until now :woozy_face:... ok, got it, I'll have to try it out first ... I'll get back to you, thanks Andreas.

Mmm, if I set it up like this, the window with the selected title should be hidden. But what happens is that only the focus switches back and forth between this and another open Scrivener window.

**Edit:**Does "Nur Verstecken" simply mean that the focus is taken off the window?

Yes, that would probably be useful.

"Nur Verstecken" means that BTT won't toggle between un-minimize and minimize, but will only minimize the window.

Possibly it can't find your window, I'm not sure if the Emoji will work. Could you try this regex instead? (Matches any window that contains "Scrivener" and "NOTES")

(?=.*\bScrivener\b)(?=.*\bNOTES\b)

If it's configured like this the shortcut should switch between minimizing and un-minimizing the scrivener window

Thank you, Andreas, but unfortunately, no. What happens is unpredictable ... random. In most cases it just toggles the focus between the "Emoji-window" and another Scrivener window, which has a completely different name. Sometimes it (un)minimizes the "Emoji-window" window and sometimes the other one. :man_shrugging:

Strange, I tried with a text edit window that I named Scrivener XXX NOTES, it works nicely here.

Could you check whether that works for you as well? (Just to see whether it's a general thing or something specific to the Scrivener windows)

Guten Morgen

I have tried this with TextEdit and different window names. If only one window is open, it works as expected. If two or more windows are open, the result is different. Sometimes the correct window is (un)minimized, sometimes a wrong one, sometimes none at all. So it seems to be a general problem with several windows, at least here.

This on the other hand works :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: What I mean is, if you don't want to, don't waste time (for me) trying to find the error. I have a working solution.

I'd like to figure out what's wrong :slight_smile:
I'll do some more testing, right now I can't reproduce the issue even with many minimized / unminimized text edit windows - but probably I'm missing something.

//edit: I think I might have an idea... let's investigate ... :sweat_smile:

As you wish :slightly_smiling_face:

Ventura 13.2.1, BTT 4.344

Thanks!
4.346 fixes a bug, not sure yet whether it's the one that causes issues for you. I'll continue using the action during the day - if I encounter anything I'll fix it.

Very good, thank you! With 4.346 everything works as expected. :slightly_smiling_face:

A detail: Is an option possible to control the behavior of the other windows of the same app?

If the desired window is unminimized, the other windows stay in the background or all come to the front as well?

Edit: Everything is fine with TextEdit, but unfortunately not with Scrivener. Sorry, only noticed this now. If it's a Scrivener problem, there's probably nothing you can do?

I'll do some experiments with Scrivener soon. Maybe I can find why it's not working correctly.

1 Like