TouchBar OS: Redefine the Touch Bar.

Introduction: I'm not a huge fan of the Touch Bar user experience. So I decided to create my own using basic design principles. Most importantly, I’ve created a Touch Bar with consistency, meaning that you know where the buttons are and what they should look like in each application.

I’ve tried my best to make it simple, I'd recommend that you change the function button so that it acts like an Esc key, you can do this in keyboard preferences in the settings app. Unless of course you have the latest MacBook Pro with a dedicated Esc key.

All of the icons have been custom made, so if you want a new one, let me know!

Here's the list of applications TouchBar OS accommodates:

• Finder
  • Mail
  • Calendar
  • Keynote
  • Pages
  • Notes
  • Photos
  • Reminders
  • Illustrator
  • Microsoft Teams
  • Photoshop
  • InDesign
  • Keyshot
  • Fusion 360
  • Prusa slicer
  • System preferences
  • Find My
  • News
  • Digital Colour Meter
  • App Store
  • Better Touch Tool

Additional features:

• Haptic feedback, so that each press feels like a real button

• Press and hold on the left most menu button (the circle) to open the force quit window

• To control brightness, swipe left or right with two fingers.

• To control volume, swipe left or right with one finger.

• Press the bell on the right to open notification centre.

Download TouchBar OS here: TouchBar OS (version 39).bttpreset (4.3 MB)

Finder:

Control centre: (Eject, Dark mode, Night shift, True Tone, Do not disturb, Keyboard brightness):

Calendar (Shortcut, by pressing on the date):

Weather: (by pressing on the time, five day forecast):

Safari (Including auto fill):

Email:

Spotify: (includes mini media player when active)

Apple Music: (includes mini media player when active)

Photoshop:

This is great - thanks so much. This Touch Bar is loads more useful than Apple's UX touch bar and has been an absolute god send when using programs like Fusion 360 and Keyshot! Love the simplicity of thew design and overall ease of use.

1 Like

Thank you. Covers a lot of apps, and good to learn from how to build a setup myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

A well crafted solution to some of the remaining flaws of Apple's Touch Bar integration within macOS. Each application preset has been carefully thought out to increase efficiency and usability within the featured apps, with consistency being my favourite feature. Would strongly recommend you give it a try!

1 Like

I love the idea! A suggestion I have is that maybe you can add more visuals to the icons, for example, in the weather, you can make the background light blue and add the cloud icon to show if it is sunny, cloudy, raining, snowing or there is a lightning storm

I just wanted to say that I really liked the simplicity. I used this one to edit and made one that works well for me.