Touch bar icon for Caffeine does not match status of app in menu bar

Describe the bug
The touchbar icon for Caffeine does not accurately report the status of the app. You can toggle the touchbar icon on and off and it does not change the app's status. It does not sync/match to the icon depicted in the menu bar.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Macbook Pro

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro
  • macOS version: 10.15.7
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.540
  • GoldenChaos-BTT version: 3.392

The caffeinate key is not for a specific app! “Caffienate” is actually a basic system-level command, which apps like Caffeine take advantage of. The caffeinate key in GC does the same thing - which means it doesn’t require any extra apps to be installed to work!

Caffeine/Keeping You Awake/etc will often refresh themselves occasionally to check the system caffeinate status, putting them in sync with GC. But you also may not need these apps at all if you’re using the GC button since it’s the exact same functionality! :slight_smile:

@GoldenChaos

Thanks for the explanation. Just to clarify, I can remove Caffeine app (from IntelliScape Solutions) and use the icon on the touchbar, built into GoldenChaos, and have the same functionality?

That is correct! Unless you use the startup/scheduling functionality in that app, you can remove Caffeine and use the GC button as a replacement :slight_smile:

@GoldenChaos I tested this and it doesn't work. Sorry to report back such bad news. :frowning:

I put my computer to sleep last night and woke it up this morning. The touchbar showed it was active, but after using the computer and stepping away for 5 mins or so, I was marked away in Teams. Turned the icon off and on again and waited and was still marked away.

I think the touchbar isn't accurately reporting the status, and/or that function doesn't work on Catalina like the Caffeine app itself does.

I’m not sure what you mean by being marked away - are you referring to your status in Microsoft Teams? Because the only thing the Caffeinate button does is prevent your Mac from going to sleep and the display from automatically dimming. It definitely doesn’t control anything about any applications - especially online/away status - but Caffeine doesn’t do this either, so I’m not sure where this comes from, haha.

So long as your Mac does not automatically dim the display and does not automatically go to sleep when the Caffeinate button is activated, then it is working as intended!

Yes that’s what I’m talking about. My status in Microsoft Teams.

The Caffeine app is definitely doing something the built in app doesn’t do. My status stays available when using the app and changes to away when using the Touch Bar icon.

Big if true! Will do some digging to see if that's true and, if so, see if I can implement anything similar. Will report back!

Any update?