Three finger click not working properly after upgrade from M1 to M2 macbook air

Describe the bug
Hi, I use three finger click to mimic middle click for a year without problem.
Yesterday I upgraded my macbook air from M1 to M2.
After system migration, I encounter 2 problems when using three finger click.
These problems stick even after I upgraded BTT to latest version.

1. BTT does not block system event/haptic feedback anymore, resulting 2 haptic feedback. (the system feedback triggers at a fixed force, BTT one triggers based on "FORCE Touchpad" setting)

2. Three finger click randomly not being recognised and trigger system 2-finger click instead. It somewhat depends on finger placement, works ~100% if I put all 3 fingers near right edge of the trackpad.

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Built-in trackpad

Device information:

• Type of Mac: M2 macbook Air
  • macOS version: 12.5 (21G72)
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.826

Can you go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Data and send the result to me? (andreas@folivora.ai)

Sent, Thanks.

P.S. I always have palm filtering disabled

Thanks for the logs! The M2 Air trackpad should now be handled correctly in the latest alpha of BTT (3.829)

Thanks. I installed 3.829, but unfortunately the problems are still around.

Hi I tested with a bluetooth connected magic trackpad2, and it works perfectly. So it's only the internal trackpad which has problem. Hope it may help.

1 Like

Also, even if I disable all trackpad shortcuts and set haptic feedback to "no feedback" in "FORCE Touchpad", 3 finger click still has a haptic feedback.

No feedback if I quit BTT.

The force that trigger the feedback obeys the force setting in "FORCE touchpad"

1 Like

Hello, I have a similar problem, too.

It seems that the three-finger click feedback is responding like double.

There is strange feedback even after selecting "no feedback" on the FORCE Touchpad.

M2 MacBook Air
macOS 12.5.1
Bettertouchtool (Latest :3.849)

thank you!

Can you also go to Help => Export Diagnostic Debug Data and send the result to me? (andreas@folivora.ai)

Maybe Iā€™m missing some trackpad model still

I just sent it.
Have a great day!

Could you check whether anything changes in BTT 3.868 alpha? (get via "Check for alpha version updates")
It seems like the Air Trackpad doesn't properly respond to some commands, I can't test it but maybe this alpha contains a workaround.

2 Likes

The problem seems to have been resolved with BTT 3.868 alpha.
Thanks for your quick response, it is much appreciated.
Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for the update,

the feedback issue is solved :grinning:

but sometimes three finger click still trigger a two finger click :worried:

1 Like

The problem is unfortunately not fixed for me.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: M2 MacBook Air
  • macOS version: 12.5.1
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.873

The following three-finger-gestures have been working on my 2017 MacBook Pro, but they are not working on my MacBook Air M2 after importing BTT settings:

• 3-finger-swipe right
  • 3-finger-swipe left
  • 3-finger-tap
  • tiptap middle
  • tiptap left
  • tiptap right

Mh there are no known issues with gestures in general. Did maybe something go wrong while importing? Do they work if you configure them new?

Other settings that were imported work fine.
I deleted the 3-finger-tap and reconfigured manually - not working.
Maybe the problem has to do with tapping?
3-finger-click is working.

maybe you still have the system defaults active in System Preferences-> Trackpad?

Do you mean the "click by tap" setting? That is activated, and one-finger and two-finger taps work as expected.

Hello, do you still have any issue with the 3 finger click? my 3 finger click still often trigger 2 finger click.

Hi siriusincanis

As you have pointed out, there seems to be a problem the three-finger click is recognized as a two-finger click with the M2 Air trackpad.

My temporally solution is that go to the trackpad gesture settings in the BTT and set the global "3 finger click (left finger harder)" and "3 finger click (right finger harder)" also to the middle Click.

1 Like