Window snapping was definitely enabled, as was scroll inversion. However, I've got another update on this. TL;DR at the bottom if anyone else ever encounters this.
So about an hour ago, both scroll reversing and window snapping now also stopped working again, but while running version 2.764. Upgrading back to 2.8xx did not help; both reverse scrolling and window snapping were still broken. Using the Reset ALL settings button in the app did not fix this either.
What is interesting is the timing when these features stopped working: In both cases, this occurred directly after using macOS's Migration Assistant to transfer data to another machine. The first time, I suppose I was already using a 2.8xx version already. I then downgraded to 2.764, with which the features were working again (even after reboots). When later today I fired up the Migration Assistant to transfer data again and booted back in, both features stopped working again. (Note that I am not talking about the machine I transferred data to; only the machine I was transferring data from.)
I started messing with
~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool. I noticed that after deleting this folder and restarting BTT, both features were working just fine again, both in 2.7xx and 2.8xx. After deleting several files & reverting, I pinpointed the issue to the main data store file,
I have no idea why this file started acting up. It would seem as though using Migration Assistant somehow messed with it? What led me to this conclusion is the following:
- Initially I was (most likely) already using the latest version. After using the Migration Assistant once, the current data store file presumably got mis-configured in some way. BTT UI still showed window snapping and scroll inversion to be enabled, and toggling either setting would (visually) persist. However, maybe some mis-configuration in the data store file resulted in these features not functioning?
- When I reverted to a 2.7xx build, I suspect that BTT either reverted to an older (still infact) data store file, or created a new one. Both features started working again! When trying a 2.8xx build, that build might have read the corrupted 2.8xx data store files again, with neither feature working.
- After switching to the migration assistant again, transferring files, and quitting back out, both features stopped working again. Switching between 2.7xx and 2.8xx didn't help this time, presumably because now the data store for both branches (again though they are version-specific, not branch-specific?) were somehow invalid.
This makes no sense, as Migration Assistant shouldn't be modifying anything. Maybe it has to do with how BTT is shut down when switching into Migration Assistant that causes it to hiccup?
I am also not sure why the Reset ALL settings button did not help, when manually deleting the local settings folder did. I suspect one of two reasons:
- Either this settings reset feature does not actually reset everything.
- Or it usually does reset everything by writing to the data store file, but because said file was somewhat mis-configured, it failed to properly reset its content.
I know that the reset button certainly did not fully reset everything. While in the UI all gestures were gone, a hexdump of the data store file still revealed references to trackpad gestures for selected applications I had previously set.
I'll do some more testing to see if I can replicate this. In any case, it would seem that triggering this bug requires a rather rare series of steps or initial configuration.
TL;DR: BTT settings somehow got messed up, causing scroll inversion, window snapping, and likely other features to no longer function. I deleted
~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool, restarted BTT (and re-enabled features if necessary), everything went back to normal.