Switch to Desktop 2

Describe the bug
A clear and concise description of what the bug is.

I have a keyboard shortcut command-1 that switches to Desktop 2. Desktop 2 is associated with an external portable monitor attached via usb-c. Sometimes it's connected (while traveling), sometimes it's not. While this shortcut worked initially, it no longer does. Pressing the key results in an error sound and no action. I've tried:

• Boot laptop, BTT running, attach external monitor, going to a fullscreen space on the external monitor, pressing command-1. -- Get error,
  • Boot laptop, attaching external monitor, restarting BTT, going to a fullscreen space on the external monitor, pressing command-1. -- Get error,

Craig

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):
Macbook Pro 15" 2018.
Asus ZenScreen USB-C external monitor
MacOS Mojave 10.14.5
BTT 3.186 (1365)

BTT basically just triggers the shortcuts in System Preferences => Keyboard => Shortcuts => Mission Control. Do they still work for you?

This started happening to me. I decided to use this instead of starting a new topic...

I'm on 13.2, M1 Studio. Not using an Apple keyboard, if that matters.

Just a few hours ago this started happening to me. It is driving me INSANE. I saw the "Secure input activated by: loginwindow" and I went to Privacy & Security and added BetterTouchTool.app to allow Input Monitoring. I rebooted. Same thing.

I have a range of Keyboard Shortcuts. ^1..^4. All but ^2 work. Actually, I have 12 shortcuts, for ^, command and ^ + command. All 11 work. The ^2 (control 2) does not work.

I upgraded to the BetterTouchTool 4.017. Same deal.

I've been beating my head on this for hours and I have sooooo much work to do, but BTT and these shortcuts are so baked into my workflow that I'm obsessed with solving this.

HELP!!!!!!!

I enabled Always use old key board shortcut implementation and restarted, same problem.
Automatically switch to old keyboard implementation if secure input is enabled was already checked.

Other things I tried: export settings, wipe everything with "bettertouchtool" in it in ~/Library/. That definitely got me back to a clean slate.

Here's the weird thing, for a while it was the ^1 shortcut, which switches to Desktop 1, then the problem switched to ^2, and I think around that time I saw the "secure input" message. Then, I added it to the preferences and haven't see that message again.

I have 2 monitors and 4 spaces per monitor.

I'll be happy to share my configuration.

EDIT: I couldn't add another reply, so adding it here:

I've I disable the current ^2 shortcut and make a new one, that doesn't work, either.

If delete the new one and make yet another new ^2 which does something other than switch to desktop 2, I see it triggered (e.g., screenshot to clipboard). So, ^2 is not being blocked or grabbed by something else. It seems there is definitely something special about desktop 2. So, I deleted desktop 2 and made a new one. SAME PROBLEM!

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

ANOTHER EDIT:

Now, after removing all the test shortcuts and enabling the original ^2.... ^2 goes to desktop 1, even though it very clearly says "Switch To Desktop 2" in the Actions Assigned to Selected Trigger.

OK, I'm done for the day and will wait for Andreas to catch up to the madness.

ONE LAST EDIT: I tried alpha 4.019 and it's the same.

ANOTHER EDIT: I just happened to click on the menubar icon and saw this:
Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 6.44.05 PM
now none of the shortcuts work.

I suspect this is a Ventura/ARM issue, as I never saw it before a week ago, when I updated from macOS 12 to 13.2.

I restarted BTT and all but Desktop 2 work. Crazy.

Just want to reiterate, I rebooted many times today. Also, BTT is not disabled.

It's as if Desktop 1 and 2 are the same. I did go into Terminal and disable Secure Keyboard Entry. It was checked (and has been for a very long time... did it years ago?). I rebooted after that. Haven't see the message in BTT since. Now, all shortcuts work, but the ones that switch to Desktop 2 go to Desktop 1. That is, if I'm on Desktop 4 and do ^2, it goes to Desktop 1 instead of 2. If I'm on 2 it goes to 1.

Most likely your shortcuts in System Settings => Keyboard => Shortcuts got messed up, maybe one is assigned twice. All BTT currently does is to send these shortcuts to the system. Secure input should not be related to this.

I've looked through them and I don't see it. Since I'm on Ventura, they are in categories. Do you know which one it's supposed to be in?

I did "Restore Defaults" and the problem didn't change.

Found them and they seem OK.

Did you possibly assign ctrl + 2 to something else in BTT's keyboard shortcut section?

I looked through the config, which I emailed you. I didn't see it.

Ah nevermind that shouldn't even matter.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the issue, but I'll have a look at your logs soon.

OK. I have to be offline for a few hours, but if there's something you want me to try, I will do it later.

What's going on? I uncheck "Switch to Desktop 1-4" and the ^1, ^3, ^4 keyboard shortcuts still work. Of course, ^2 doesn't work.

HOWEVER, I noticed something interesting, when I typed ^2, I had the Mission Control shortcuts open and saw the ^2 and ^3 flash at the same time with a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. I re-recorded the key sequences (for ^2 and ^3) and that no longer happens, but ^2 doesn't work still.

There's something odd about ^2 and ^3: they flash when I type them in the preferences pane, but ^1 and ^4 do not.

I looked through, again, all keyboard shortcuts. One by one. I disabled almost everything, but I found no conflict with ^2. This bug is killing me.

This is clearly not a BTT bug, so I filed this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254625105

I know it's just yelling into the wind. I guess I have to change my workflow to something else. It's amazing how much you come to depend on muscle memory, though. Pure sadness.

I believe it is at least related to BTT.

I think you will be able to fix it by going through every section of System Settings => Keyboard => Shortcuts and hitting the restore defaults button.

I disabled BTT and all the shortcuts work except ^2. I will do that experiments of restoring defaults now.

I restored the defaults on all subpanes which had the option. Problem still there.

That's really strange. But you still see it flickering with an exclamation mark ?
(The flickering is normal, but the exclamation mark suggests that something in the shortcuts is messed up)

The exclamation mark is gone, once I rerecorded the shortcuts.