[Solved] Preset/backed up settings automatically deleted

Note: Before bug reporting, please make sure you have tried the latest (alpha) version of BetterTouchTool and that you have already tried to restart your system :-). If you encounter a crash, please attach a crash log from the macOS Console.app from the "User Diagnostic Reports" section.

I have tried the latest alpha and restarted the system, but the issue persists. Crash log attached below.

Crash Log.html (50.6 KB)

Describe the bug

All existing settings/pre-sets stopped working and disappeared from the app today (prior to trying the alpha).

When I import my saved preset settings, they reappear for about a second and then immediately disappear again - and this occurs whether or not I have the preset settings override existing settings.

When I try to restore settings from backup, BTT crashes (see attached crash log).

Affected input device (e.g. MacBook Trackpad, Magic Mouse/Trackpad, Touch Bar, etc.):

All input devices.

Device information:

• Type of Mac: MacBook Pro M1 (2020)
  • macOS version: 12.6
  • BetterTouchTool version: 3.874

For anyone with a similar issue in the future, I was able to eventually fix this by deleting all BetterTouchTool setting files (as per Installation/Deinstallation ยท GitBook, under "Uninstall"):

1. ~/Library/Application Support/BetterTouchTool
  2. ~/Library/Preferences/com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.plist

I had multiple versions of the second file, and deleted all of them.

Note that simply deleting and reinstalling BetterTouchTool did not correct the issue.