Shell commands for different system info (battery time/percent/temp; CPU percent; disk percent/free/used; memory free/available/used/etc; bluetooth 'is connected'; network download/upload throughput.)

A few weeks ago I posted in the forums Tocco, which is a Python utility that is able to grab a good amount of OSX system info. In hopes of speeding things up, I began researching OSX commands that give partial system info and wrote a few bash scripts that some folks in here might find useful.

Do note that the multiline commands can be simply put into one line -- my intention wasn't to make things look obscure. I do not believe there is a feasible way to grab the following out-of-the-box from OSX (but would love to be proven wrong):

• CPU Temperature
  • Battery Temperature

Note: All of these commands are native to OSX. None of these commands require sudo. Contributions to this thread are welcomed. :slight_smile:

Battery

Percent Left

pmset -g batt | grep "InternalBattery" | awk '{print $3+0"%"}'

Time Left

pmset -g batt | grep "InternalBattery" | awk '{print $5}'

Temperature

Fahrenheit

bc <<< "scale=2; ((($(ioreg -r -n AppleSmartBattery | grep Temperature | awk '{print $3}')/10.0)-273.30) * 9/5) + 32"

Celsius

bc <<< "scale=2; (($(ioreg -r -n AppleSmartBattery | grep Temperature | awk '{print $3}')/10.0)-273.15)"

CPU

Percentage Being Used

/usr/bin/top -ocpu -R -F -l 1 | grep "CPU usage" | awk '{print $3+$5"%"}'

Disk

Percentage Free

df | grep disk1s1 | awk '{print 100-$5"%"}'

Free Disk

df -h | grep disk1s1 | awk '{print $4"B"}'

Used Disk

df -h | grep disk1s1 | awk '{print $2"B"}'

Memory

Replace free in the grep -w "free" statement to pull a different values. Available values:

• free
  • inactive
  • active
  • speculative
  • Others in vm_stat command.

Specific

function bth () {
    b=${1:-0}; d=''; s=0; S=(B {K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y}B)
    while ((b > 1024)); do
        d="$(printf ".%02d" $((b % 1024 * 100 / 1024)))"
        b=$((b / 1024))
        let s++
    done
    echo "$b$d ${S[$s]}"
};
bth $(vm_stat | grep -w "free" | awk '{print $3*4096}')

Bluetooth

Is Device Connected

Change the device_name to whatever Bluetooth device you have on your computer. Prints either "Yes" or "No."

export device_name="AirPods"
echo $(system_profiler SPBluetoothDataType 2> /dev/null | grep $(echo $device_name) -A 7 | grep Connected) | awk '{if($1==""){print "No"}else{print $2}}'

Network

SSID Name

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | grep -w SSID | awk '{print $2}'

Network Download Throughput

function bth () {
    b=${1:-0}; d=''; s=0; S=(B {K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y}iB)
    while ((b > 1024)); do
        b=$((b / 1024))
        let s++
    done
    echo "$b$d ${S[$s]}/sec"
};

function func () {
  nettop -L 1 -c -P -x | awK -F "\"*,\"*" '{sum += $5} END {print sum}';
};

export first=$(func);
sleep 1;
export second=$(func);

bth $(expr $second - $first)

Network Upload Throughput

function bth () {
    b=${1:-0}; d=''; s=0; S=(B {K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y}iB)
    while ((b > 1024)); do
        b=$((b / 1024))
        let s++
    done
    echo "$b$d ${S[$s]}/sec"
};

function func () {
  nettop -L 1 -c -P -x | awK -F "\"*,\"*" '{sum += $6} END {print sum}';
};

export first=$(func);
sleep 1;
export second=$(func);

Here's how you show how much disk space you have used / free on your boot drive:

df -H / | awk '/\//{getline; print $3" / "$4}'

Mine shows this:

155G / 286G

If you just want free space:

df -H / | awk '/\//{getline; print $4}'

or just used space

df -H / | awk '/\//{getline; print $3}'

1 Like

Completely forgot disk space -- good idea! Gonna modify those a little bit and post em' in a sec. Thanks for the share.

get SSID of current Wi-Fi network

This option works regardless of what port your Wi-Fi is on:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I \
2>/dev/null | awk -F': ' '/ SSID/{print $NF}')

This one works if you know which port is your Wi-Fi port (usually en0 on MacBooks, en1 on iMac or Mac mini):

networksetup -getairportnetwork "en0" 2>/dev/null \
| sed 's#^Current Wi-Fi Network: ##g'

Or you can calculate the proper port and then use it:

PORT=$(networksetup -listallhardwareports 2>/dev/null \
| grep 'Wi-Fi' -A1 \
| grep -o en.)

networksetup -getairportnetwork "$PORT" 2>/dev/null \
| sed 's#^Current Wi-Fi Network: ##g'
1 Like

Modified it a little bit and added! Thanks for share again.

How would I modify upload and download throughput to show Mbps instead?

Is there anything for CPU and Grpahics Temps @synchronizing?

Any idea how to have network speed be displayed in one single unit? This seems to alternate between b/kb/etc.

Might be able to use this for CPU Temp, Requires iStats installed.

Get fan CPU(Temp) and clean up output - Install in Terminal: "sudo gem install iStats"

set temp to do shell script "/usr/local/bin/istats cpu --value-only | awk '{print int($1+0.5)}'"
set value to do shell script "sed s/[a-zA-Z:{},]//g <<< " & temp
set value to value & "°C"
return value

Do you think I can set a BTT action to run gem install automatically without issues?

I personally couldn't find a bash command for either. I do know that iStats does provide this, but of course it needs to be installed first.

You would have to change the bth function on either/both upload and download the bash command. The output of nettop is simply bytes_out or bytes_in, and so one would have to make the proper conversion of bytes to their designated unit.

To be more clear, the following commands do the following:

function func () {
  nettop -L 1 -c -P -x | awK -F "\"*,\"*" '{sum += $6} END {print sum}';
};
  • nettop -L 1 -c -P -x: Retrieves the bytes_out and bytes_in from all the software running on your computer.
  • awK -F "\"*,\"*" '{sum += $6} END {print sum}';: Sums the rows of either the bytes_in or bytes_out. Notice how above we have $6, and that designates the 6th row of the output of the nettop command, which is bytes_out.
export first=$(func);
sleep 1;
export second=$(func);

From there, we are exporting the value of the bytes_out, waiting one second, and grabbing the second value of bytes_out, where we then use the subtraction of each to run it through the bth function:

So long story short, you are looking to modify the bth function to output only 1 value. The easiest way is to utilize the Wikipedia article I linked above (in this reply) and figure out the conversion of bytes to whatever unit you would like. Then simply divide the subtraction of $second - $first by that unit to receive its proper output. So to convert bytes to megabytes, you would divide the value by 1e-6. However, do keep in mind that this is not your network speed, and merely the usage of your bytes_in and bytes_out, or in other words, your network "throughput."

I do want to mention that the step in which $second-$first is performed, there does seem to be some negative values that occur. I am honestly uncertain as to why this is happening, but it is a side-effect. I would hope a more experienced developer in bash could chime into the conversation regarding this.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on my touchbar preset to post here, but perhaps you could grab some ideas from my implementation. I created a Github repo and uploaded some .sh files that allow the installation of external tools with ease. This is how my current preset looks when the user first opens it:

When the user clicks the button, the following scripts are activated:

/usr/bin/git clone https://github.com/synchronizing/Simple ~/.simple
tell application "Terminal"
	do script "~/.simple/src/install_dependencies.sh && exit"
end tell

Which prompts the user with the following:

17%20PM

This is the best way I could come up with to install dependencies. The code for the bash files can be found at the link here, under /src/. The code for the above is rather quite simple:

# ASCII logo print-out.
function simple () {
  echo -e "███████╗██╗███╗   ███╗██████╗ ██╗     ███████╗"
  echo -e "██╔════╝██║████╗ ████║██╔══██╗██║     ██╔════╝"
  echo -e "███████╗██║██╔████╔██║██████╔╝██║     █████╗"
  echo -e "╚════██║██║██║╚██╔╝██║██╔═══╝ ██║     ██╔══╝"
  echo -e "███████║██║██║ ╚═╝ ██║██║     ███████╗███████╗"
  echo -e "╚══════╝╚═╝╚═╝     ╚═╝╚═╝     ╚══════╝╚══════╝\n"
}

clear
simple

# Checks to see if Simple's dependencies are already installed.
~/.simple/src/verify_dependencies.sh
if [[ $? == 0 ]] ; then
  echo -e "All dependencies are already installed!"
  read -p "Press any key to exit."
  exit 0
fi

# If dependencies are not installed, runs user through installation.
echo -e "This is the depedency installation for Simple. This script will be downloading"
echo -e "and installing the following:\n"

echo -e "  1. iStats: OSX system monitoring tool."
echo -e "  2. Brew: OSX missing package manager."
echo -e "  3. Python3: The latest version of Python."
echo -e "  4. Tocco: A python 3 utility tool for complete OSX system information.\n"

echo -e "The above depedencies are needed for Simple to run effectively. If you are a"
echo -e "developer I welcome you to contribute & verify Simple's security and integrity."
echo -e "You can find more information here: https://github.com/synchronizing/Simple\n"

read -p "Ready to proceed instalation? [y/n] " -n 1 -r
echo -e "\n"
if [[ ! $REPLY =~ ^[Yy]$ ]]
then
  echo -e "Simple requires depedencies to be installed to work properly. Feel free"
  echo -e "to come back if you change your mind. This script can be found here:"
  echo -e "http://github.com/synchronizing/Simple/blob/master/src/install_depedencies.sh"
  echo
  exit 1
fi

which /usr/local/bin/iStats > /dev/null
if [[ $? != 0 ]] ; then
  echo -e "Installing iStats.\n"
  echo -e "> sudo gem install iStats"
  sudo gem install iStats
else
  echo -e "iStats is already installed. Skipping this installation."
fi

echo -e "----------------------------------------------------------------------"

which /usr/local/bin/brew > /dev/null
if [[ $? != 0 ]] ; then
  echo -e "Installing Brew."
  echo -e "> /usr/bin/ruby -e \"$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)\""
  /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
else
  echo -e "Brew is already installed. Skipping this installation."
fi

echo -e "----------------------------------------------------------------------"

which /usr/local/bin/brew > /dev/null
if [[ $? != 0 ]] ; then
  echo -e "Installing Python3."
  echo -e "> brew install python3"
  brew install python3
else
  echo -e "Python3 is already installed. Skipping this installation."
fi

/usr/local/bin/python3 -m pip freeze | grep Tocco > /dev/null
if [[ $? != 0 ]] ; then
  echo -e "Installing Tocco."
  echo -e "> /usr/local/bin/python3 -m pip install git+http://github.com/synchronizing/Tocco"
  /usr/local/bin/python3 -m pip install git+http://github.com/synchronizing/Tocco
else
  echo -e "Tocco is already installed. Skipping this installation."
fi

clear
simple
echo -e "Installation completed! You may go back to BetterTouchTool and continue.\n"

# Exits with success.
read -p "Press any key to exit."
exit 0
1 Like
Imprint | Privacy Policy