Sharing??? With whom?

Hi there, I am a licensed owner of BTT for my MacBook Pro, and several times now I’ve found that I’m typing away and all of a sudden BTT shows that it’s ‘sharing’!!! The blue icon shows in my menu bar and I have trouble switching app windows.

Sharing with whom? With what?

I haven’t told it to share anything. Am I being hacked? What’s going on?

This has happened several times now. What is the sharing all about then?

Thanks,
David

Device information:

• Type of Mac:
  • macOS version:
  • BetterTouchTool version: (please post the exact version - not just "the latest one")

Additional information (e.g. crash logs, related issues, etc.):

BTT won't share anything with anybody, but maybe you are seeing the macOS Sonoma screen capture notification? Can you post a screenshot of the message you are seeing?

There are multiple actions in BTT that might require to temporarily capture parts of your screen, see:

Thanks, there is no message, it's just that a few times the BTT icon showed screen sharing was on, though I hadn't authorised anything to be shared. Hasn't happened for a few days now, so I can post a screenshot if it happens again. But as long as you can reassure me nothing is being shared with anyone unless I specifically authorise it, that helps.

Just to say this happened again today. I was typing a note on a pdf and then I get the blue sharing icon and I literally cannot switch to another app from the pdf app. Every time I try to do so the BTT blue sharing icon pops up and I am stuck in the pdf app. I had to restart the Mac! What is this behaviour? Can someone please help? Or perhaps I need to uninstall BTT, since this is a security problem and no one is able to help me, it seems.

sounds like you are using the “pin focused window to float on top” action

Yes, looks like I accidentally did that right top right corner click. I never configured that in the first place! I have no idea how to unpin the window, and when I try to switch windows I get windows popping in and out all over the place. And it says 'sharing' not 'pinned' so how am I supposed to know what's going on? This is a terrible function and should be either removed immediately or reconfigured to stop all this happening, thank you.

the pinned windows feature is liked by many people, however it definitely needs to be configured first - BTT doesn’t do this on its own. Maybe you have configured that action somewhere in BTT? Or are you using the BTT window switcher?

Have a look at the new “recently used” section, then you can see which of your configured triggers executed the action

The sharing notice comes from macOS, there is no way to remove / change that.

OK thanks, I definitely never configured it! Anyway, I have deleted the configuration so should be OK now, at least I know what's going on! Thanks :slight_smile:

maybe you imported some user preset that contained the trigger? (BTT always starts with an empty database, any configured trigger is either imported or added manually)

But yes, removing that should solve the issue :+1:

Since the introduction of this new feature, you have written this sentence about five times, easily identifying a trigger that would otherwise have taken hours to find. I guess you've saved yourself and us a day of pointless work ... so far :smiley:

definitely one of the best additions for my (and my users) sanity :sweat_smile: