Scroll sensitivity too high; clicking interpreted as 1 finger scroll

I am a a big fan of the 3- and 4-finger gestures built into macOS for the trackpad (both Magic Trackpad and the version built into Apple's laptops), finding them critical to my daily workflow. Awhile back, I changed my setup so that I am using an external keyboard (extended Magic Keyboard) and Magic Trackpad 2 while working from my office. After a couple of weeks, I started to encounter RSI issues as a result of this placement (that keyboard with the additional page navigation keys and numeric keypad is quite a bit wider than I was used to). No problem, I picked up a Magic Mouse 2 and remembered that BTT exists, and in no time I had some gestures mapped to the Magic Mouse that retained my beloved trackpad gestures, courtesy of BTT.
My job consists of working in Excel a lot. Almost immediately, I started noticing an issue where I would highlight several columns and, normally, double clicking one column would auto-size all highlighted columns. I couldn't get this to reliably work. The Mac version of Microsoft Office tends to be buggy and not as polished as the Windows versions, so I chalked this up to a glitch and worked around it.
Then I noticed when hitting the space bar to Quick Look a file (again, often a spreadsheet) and attempting to click on tabs to view other sheets in the workbook, the Quick Look preview window would move slightly instead of showing the other sheets.
After some trial and error, I eventually discovered disabling BTT eliminates this behavior. While BTT is running, it seems like the sensitivity to track one's finger for scrolling is prioritized over the intended click or double-click. When BTT is not running, macOS appears to account for this and registers clicks as intended instead of one-finger scrolling a few pixels (thereby mitigating the intended click(s). If I am very deliberate and careful to not move my finger at all (while BTT is active), I seem to have more success clicking instead of scrolling, but I would prefer to just move the mouse and click without thinking about it.

I've done some Googling and searching through this forum and was unsuccessful finding others with this issue, so any guidance as to a setting or known bug/workaround would be hugely appreciated.

This is a 2017 15" MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3